Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro Installation CD doesn't work anymore

• Please log in to reply

cyangamer

cyangamer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm dual-booting Vista (Vista came pre-installed) and XP, but in order to finalize it I need to get back into XP, booting off the CD. Can't do that anymore. I get a "mountmgr.sys is corrupted" "Setup Failed" error and the computer restarts. It didn't always do this, I've used it 5 times before.

I paid $90 for this CD, and unfortunately I don't hvae access to another Installation CD right now.

Help please? Check my specs too.

Advertisements

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
It seems the CD of yours is corrupted somehow, maybe it became damaged for a reason unknown.
To make this sure, try to get access to another computer, and try whether or not the CD acts like this, or it just plays tricks on your computer.

If the CD seems to fail at other computers, I'm pretty sure y'should get contact wit' someone who has a working installation CD, and ask him for the malfunctioning file "mountmgr.sys". Then copy the contents of your CD to a directory in your hard drive, and replace the malfunctioning file "mountmgr.sys" with the mountmgr.sys you obtained from a friend of yours. Then copy everythin' on an empty CD, and there, it should work without problems.

cyangamer

cyangamer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't have a blank CD (I can get one on Monday) but if I did what you said but put everything on an ISO and use a virtual disk drive, would that work?

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
You may give it a try, sure, however, I never messed around with ISO files. But that may also work, just make sure you have the functioning file, and not the errorneous one.