Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slide converter device?

• Please log in to reply

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Greetings to all Geeks2Go visitors!

I'd have a serious question which requires your generous attention.
Ok, here'z the deal: A good friend of mine has several slides (glass slides with plastic frames) which he would like to convert to computerised images - such as JPG, BMP, or anything else I can think of. He is also positive about the existence of such device, which can be connected to a personal computer, and is able to convert the content of these slides into image files.
The problem is, we were unsuccessful about identifying this machine, this device. We know it exists, moreover, we also know that most likely the EPSON corporation is manufacturing this machine, but we had no luck finding out what is this device exactly, what is it called, and where can we grab one of them.

To help your assistance, I made a photo about those slides what it's all about.

As you can clearly see on the picture, these slides are quite old-fashioned, and may be viewed only wit' a proper device - as a slideshow. My very good friend decided that this should be ceased to exist, as he desires to see the content of these slides as images, and since I had the honor of helping him, I decided to drop in and submit this question.
To summarize it, I need the name and the whereabouts of a device, which can be connected to the computer to convert the slide images into image files to the computer, and a few ideas where may I acquire such a device. All is known that EPSON made this device. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• Whereareallmyguns.jpg

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What you are showing looks like regular slides. I have trays of them from many years ago. This was the technology (as you are aware) before digital.

What I used (and gave up on) was my HP scanjet 4570. It has a slide adapter that you can use to scan the images in to a program and then manipulate accordingly. I could do 1 at a time, or about 6 at a time. If I did multiple, then I had to cut and paste the individual slides out to get them separate. All of this is tedious. That is why I gave up for a while(Its atime thing)

The other thing I ran into was that alot of them I could not enlarge without sacrificing quality. They remained the size of the slide negative.

I had done some checking with photo shops. They can do it, but very expensive and they could only give me what I already had.

I hope this helps you in your endeavor.

Reactor

Reactor

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
So! You say if we buy this HP Scanjet 4570 and a Slide adapter for it, we'll be able to convert these slides into JPG images (or any digital images for that matter)?

It's not a problem that the whole procedure is really time-consuming, I know there is a way for this task to do it. So all he needs to do is buy this HP Scanjet 4570 and a Slide adapter, and from then on, he'll be able to do the converting stuff?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The HP scanjet I have is a couple years old. I'm sure they have newer models that will work.

I assume any brand will work as long as it has the capability to do slides. My HP came with the adapter.