Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pass option to set up a RAID utility on boot-up?

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I have an ASUS A8V-VM SE Socket 939 Micro ATX Motherboard - UDMA133, SATA.

My os is Windows XP Pro x64.

I installed a NORCO-4618 PCI-X / PCI eSATA / SATA II / SATA I Controller Card (RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD).

It's working fine but, in order for the controller card to work, I needed to install SoftRAID5. Because of this, when I boot up, a window appears for about 15 to 20 seconds which waits for me to set up a RAID Array. It says "Press Ctrl+S or F4 to enter RAID Utility." I don't want to set up a RAID Array. I went into it anyway to see if I could turn it off but the only option was to set up a RAID Array.

I also went into CMOS and BIOS to see if I could turn this off so that I wouldn't have to wait 15 to 20 seconds for the window to pass but I couldn't find anything that resembled what I was looking for. I might just not be seeing it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how many drives did you connect to the card...if its only one why didn't you connect it to the onboard sata connector
your mobo manual is here...includes the bios settings...page 66 deals with the raid/ide settings...but thats for the onboard sata drive/s...there isn't anything in there about the pci card... soooo. if your going to disable the raid screen it will have to be done thru the SoftRAID5 software or maybe just uninstall the SoftRAID5 software completely

Edited by happyrock, 14 September 2008 - 06:27 AM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
It's a 4-port SATA controller card. I have 3 ext SATA hdds connected to the controller card and the 4th port is used by a SATA hub, with 4 ext SATA hdds connected to it. I need the SoftRAID5 software for the controller card to work. It wouldn't work without it, so I guess I'm stuck with the 15 to 20 second window.

Thanks for letting me know.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome.. :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understand the problem exactly but try this: lick Start > Run. Type msconfig and press Enter. Click Selective Mode and then click Startup. Look in the list and uncheck Raid or whatever is related to the add-on card. Reboot and check the box that shows up. If the card doesn't work well recheck the boxes one at a time, rebooting after each one. This way you will find and disable the process that runs the message that you want to eliminate.

This is a common problem, especially with older computer. When you download and install Raid drivers you get a similar message which you cancel in msconfig.