Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

various problems-- activex, srchasst, etc.

• Please log in to reply

rhymeswithspoon

rhymeswithspoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, all of this was in IE. . . and I added those sites to the list, but still no change. (Actually, I had added them before, but they're still on there!) When I try to load the page, it says "Trusted sites" down in the bottom right hand corner instead of "Internet," but I still get a blank page.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Can you reset your active x controls on default?

rhymeswithspoon

rhymeswithspoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
still nothing after resetting. :/ sorry it took me so long to get back to you. i am still clueless as to what could be causing this.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
How were you able to update windows to sp2 if you're having problems with Active X now?

rhymeswithspoon

rhymeswithspoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I ordered the disk from Microsoft, because I couldn't figure out any other way to do it. It came much more quickly than it said they would (about a week). After I installed it I noticed the new features but all of my old problems were still here.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
open Internet Explorer, click "Tools" at the top, click "Internet Options" and select the "Security" tab. Now click the "Custom Level" button at the bottom and set your settings to match this.

Download signed ActiveX controls......Prompt
Download unsigned ActiveX controls...Disable
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe....Disable
Run ActiveX controls and Plugins....enable, or prompt for even more security
Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting....enable
File Download.... enable <<this is your main download problem I believe

Accept all the changes, close your browser and open it back up and try again.

rhymeswithspoon

rhymeswithspoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I didn't have to change anything-- those were my current settings already. I can download stuff as long as it's from a site that doesn't require ActiveX to be enabled-- even though it is enabled.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
You can make a post in the xp forum and leave a link to this topic. Maybe they can solve it. :tazz:

rhymeswithspoon

rhymeswithspoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks for trying to help. i really appreciate it. :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I found this:

This is usually caused by connecting to your ISP while the Search Companion is open. This problem is found in the Windows XP English language versions only.

Possible Solution:

Reinstall the Search Companion Files:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.
2. Click Start>> Run. Type in: %systemroot%\inf [Enter]
3. Scroll the resulting list and locate the Srchasst.inf file. If it doesn't seem to be listed, try adjusting your folder options to view hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer:

* Open Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>> View tab.
* Tick the "Show hidden files and folders" entry.
* Apply the change and exit Explorer.

4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install. Windows will now attempt to install the Search Companion files.

Note: You may be prompted for the Windows XP CD to complete the installation so please have it ready.

If this continues to occur after disconnecting from the Internet, it may be caused by corrupted files that have been cached. I have the three possible files that may be causing this listed below. Open them in notepad so that you can determine the source of the corruption.

* Balloon.xsl
* Bar.xsl
* Lclsrch.xml

Advertisements

rhymeswithspoon

rhymeswithspoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Awesome, thank you! One of my problems when I tried to reinstall the srchasst.inf file before was that I was trying to use the corrupted files. . . So this time I found the files it needed on the xp cd. That helped, but still didn't fix the problem.

It could be that one of the xsl or xml files has been corrupted, but I can't figure out if they are or not.

Still hunting. . . :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
What specific problems are you still having?

rhymeswithspoon

rhymeswithspoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
All of the original ones. IE isn't recognising my ActiveX settings, I can't re-install Search Assistant, and Media Player disappeared. But I'm not worried about fixing Media Player right now, just the weird ActiveX stuff and Search.

Oh, and I posted a new topic in the xp forum yesterday.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

Oh, and I posted a new topic in the xp forum yesterday.

I think that's your best bet. :tazz:

rhymeswithspoon

rhymeswithspoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
That's what I figured. :tazz: I had forgotten which forum this was actually in. *slaps forehead*