Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting desktop to laptop

• Please log in to reply

rfisher

rfisher

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there,
I want to connect my laptop to my desktop at the end of everyday so I can work at home on my laptop with files that I have modified during the day. What is the easiest and fastest way to do this? I've tried connecting both with a crossover ethernet cable, but had so much trouble changing network settings, etc that I gave up. My problem is that my deskptop is hooked up to a university network most of the day and my laptop to the internet at home everyday and the only time I want to sync them is for the period to sync file folders. Both my laptop and desktop are connected to different networks (deskptop is connected to a university network and my laptop is connected to the internet at home) during the day and that's why I don't want to fool with network settings too much. I've also heard that a USB to USB cable can work and is maybe less of a hassle than setting up a network between the computers.
Both systems are running Windows Vista Home Premium and both are HP models.
Thanks for any help!

Advertisements