Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried to do a Recovery Install of WinXP Prof. & now won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
My WinXP Prof version got hosed up by a Microsoft automatic update and by trying to get rid of the update I made things so bad that the computer would not boot up anymore so I decided to do a Recovery Install. The problem is I bought this computer used and the previous owner had installed a fresh copy of Professional before I got it and the XP Prof version he gave me is one of the first versions made. It does not have SP2 so it does not have support for HDD's larger than 137GB which I knew but forgot about when I tried to do the Recovery Install. My HDD is a Maxtor 200GB and the previous owner had made two partitions on it to get around the 137GB problem before installing XP. Now after I did the Recovery Install the system will only boot in Safe Mode. I have a disk with SP2 on it and my question is can I now install SP2 to cure the 137GB problem so my system will boot up normally or do I need to do something different to get things to boot normally. I hope I haven't hosed up the drive too bad because I have programs on the HDD that can not be reinstalled (they were GiveAwayOfTheDay software). I can read all the files with Explorer and run the programs in Safe Mode but have no internet or network connections. Here is my system:

Custom built system
Motherboard= ASUS A7V600-X
CPU= AMD 3200+, 2.2Ghz, Athlon 64 XP
Chipset= Award BIOS Revision 1008 (3/8/05)
Memory= 1GB DDR400
Video= AGP 8X Radeon 9250 (256MB RAM)
Audio= Envy 24 Family audio controller WDM
Modem= US Robotics 56K Voice Win 1806
Wireless Network= Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
DVD-RW= Pioneer
CD-RW/DVD-ROM= LiteOn
Floppy Drive
Primary HDD= Maxtor 200GB 6L200PO
Secondary HDD= Maxtor 200GB STM3200820A
VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
VIA BusMaster IDE Controller
IEEE 1394= Belkin/1394 PCI Card (Model F5U503)

WinXP Professional Version 5.1.2600
Internet Explorer 7.0

Advertisements

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have another question related to the above problem. If I create a slipstream disk with SP2 on it can I use that disk to do a Repair/Install of Windows on my hosed up hard drive without losing my current files?