Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC Build

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
900 is a good case. At 3.16 is doesnt have that much headroom, its more difficult to achieve the higher speeds when you are allready above 3Ghz. The Quad cores have more head room on the speeds and to be honest the difference between the cheaper arctic freezer 64 and expensive ultima 120 Ultra at the top of the pile isn't that massive so a quad with a freezer 64 would be my choice.

Advertisements

Deldrice

Deldrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Here is my final build. Thanks everyone for helping me =D

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

GPU:SAPPHIRE 100243-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire

MB: ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard - Retail

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

HDD:Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3400620AS 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Cooling:XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle

& XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black ATX Full Tower

So I guess my final question is, will everything there work right together. I mean ive checked to make sure everything is the correct one, but let me know if any of those parts are for some reason the wrong type/version. I also plan on overclocking to some extent, the 650W should be fine right?
Thanks again!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
650W should be fine but I wouldn't like to try doing a huge overclock with it , but for day to day it should be fine I wouldn't say you have a huge amount of headroom so just keep an eye on it if you add anything else.

Check to see if you can find a 4870 by someone other than Saphire they aren't all bad but they aren't the best and they stick cheap crap coolers on the things its worth it to get something with decent cooling the first time around and save the hassle.

Deldrice

Deldrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the headsup on the sapphire...I forgot to look at reviews on other sapphire products and sure enough a lot of issues have risen from their cards. I will be switching to a visiontek 512 4870, 20 bucks cheaper and a lot better reputation.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Good choice, there is lots of manufacturers you just need to check out which are the best.

You might want to check out getting an after market cooler, the new cards run hot and from personal experience an aftermarket cooler can make a huge difference to the stability of the whole system. I'm still on the stock cooler on my 8800GT and I hate it, the Arctic Acceleros just came back into stock in the UK so Ill be getting one soon for my own system the coolers now are cheap and very good and can make a huge difference to system temps and system noise.

Deldrice

Deldrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yea I am getting an xmigmatek rs1823, for the price they say they are one of the best coolers at the moment

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Just note that if you decide to change the stock cooler on any ATI card you get, you will void your warranty.
One of the good things about Nvidia partners (XFX and EVGA) is that you won't void the warranty if you modify the video card. I believe you can get away with it as well with BFG if you just put the stock cooler back in place when you RMA.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The xigamtek is your CPU cooler, I was talking about the graphics cards cooler.

Deldrice

Deldrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Oh,ok...what GPU cooler would you recommend?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I like the looks of the Arctic Accelero, you might not need it and you don't want to put it on straight away before you know the card works but most cards in my experience have sub par cooling fitted to them as standard. The only exception is usually HIS which pre-fit better gfx card coolers on some of their cards.

Advertisements

Deldrice

Deldrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I received the parts today, got it all assembled in a few hours. I just finished the vista install and as of now I haven't had a single error of any sort. I was rather surprised how easy everything went together as this being my first build. Thanks for all your help =D

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's good news. :)

If there's one thing I love, it's photos - feel free to take a few and post them. :)

Troy

Deldrice

Deldrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'll have some pics up later tonight

Edited by Deldrice, 20 September 2008 - 06:54 PM.

Deldrice

Deldrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Here are some pics. Everything is working great on it, and my cpu idles at 20 C =D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Man those pictures look great!

I like the blue lighting from that Antec 1200 case... :)

Troy