Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory Increases

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have noticed that as many times in the past few weeks I have received notifications from Windows that Virtual Memory is low and had to be increased. I was wondering what might have caused this. It seems to happen when I am using Windows Movie Maker, and only since I downloaded some Movie Maker Updates one of which i installed and is a compilation of Video Effects. Could this be the problem, I have scanned several times and Spybot has turned up Cool WWW Search and I have instructed Spybot to fix the problems. Could this be the problem? What other forces could be at work requiring Virtual Memory to be increased and can the operation be reversed later when the problem is solved.

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
With virtual memory, the computer can use hard disk space as random access memory (RAM). The computer uses virtual memory to augment the ordinary RAM that is installed on the computer

Windows XP

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties
In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab
In the Performance pane, click Settings
In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab
In the Virtual memory pane, click Change.
Change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value, click Set, and then click OK.
Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box, and then click OK to close the System Properties dialog box

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to add to what peter99 said...when you increase the swap/paging file size...make it 2 times the amount of ram installed on the computer..
example...if you have 512 MB stick of ram ...set the minimum and maximum to the same size...1024MB..
THEN REBOOT...
how much ram do you have...

Edited by happyrock, 15 September 2008 - 09:23 AM.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi waynf , to follow on from happyrock's instructions as to increasing your swap/paging file , which you should do , and report to him , "how much ram do you have..."

To answer your question as to , " ... I was wondering what might have caused this. It seems to happen when I am using Windows Movie Maker, and only since I downloaded some Movie Maker Updates one of which i installed and is a compilation of Video Effects."
Video editing , creating , manipulation can be very resource intensive which quite possibly explains your increased need for more Virtual Memory , so good idea as happyrock said to increase it .

When your Computer has used all available RAM ,a part of your Hard Drive allocated as a paging , or Swap file is used to make up for the lack of available memory . It is not the same as RAM , as it is slower being on your Hard Drive , but obviously does the job .

I have scanned several times and Spybot has turned up Cool WWW Search and I have instructed Spybot to fix the problems.

Have you re-scanned and seen if the CWS infection has gone ?

You could use this tool CWShredder™ as another way of confirming you do not have CWS . ( CoolWebSearch ; a name given to a wide range of different browser hijackers. Though the code is very different between variants, they are all used to redirect users to coolwebsearch.com and other sites affiliated with its operators. )