Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible broken motherboard? Power supply?

• Please log in to reply

Bad_Disease

Bad_Disease

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My system includes the following:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/ Athlon xp 2800+
Antec Truepower 430W
1 Samsung 512 MB DIMM
1 Corsair 512 MB DIMM
Western Digital Caviar 160 GB 7200 RPM
Asus CDRW 52X24X52
Internal Zip 250MB ATAPI
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Windows XP Pro w/ SP 2
Apple lcd monitor w/ usb adaptor

I recently got an error when I booted up telling me that Windows couldn't start because a file was missing or corrupted, and that I should use my Windows disk to do a repair. When I boot from the Windows disk and try to do a repair installation, my computer shuts down before I am able to make repairs. Furthermore, I am unable to detect my hard drive through my BIOS. I tried a different IDE cable from another computer to see if that was the problem, and then tried plugging in a different hard drive, but nothing showed up. After rebooting a few times, now my monitor isn't turning on, and the machine shuts down automatically a short time after turning on.

I have an older computer that I can switch parts out with, but I'm not sure where I should start. I can't get into my OS, so it looks like a hardware problem, but I'm not sure how to know if it's the motherboard, processor, power supply, or something else...

Advertisements

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Are you able to get into the BIOS?

If so, is your CD drive the first boot device?

If not, make it so in the BIOS - put your windows disc in the drive and let it boot from it.

I think you'll be prompted to hit any key to actually boot from the cd.

Bad_Disease

Bad_Disease

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes, I set the CD drive as the first boot device, and it started to load the Windows disk, but as soon as I got to the Windows XP Setup page where I can set-up, repair, or quit, the whole machine immediately turned off. It did this a couple of times, and now, when I turn the computer on, the monitor's screen isn't turning on, so I can't see anything.