Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, Cant Access the Internet

• Please log in to reply

crazy legs

crazy legs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Here's my problem, I have just clean installed XP Pro on my Desktop PC. Previously it was connected via a Netgear Router using an ADSL (Sky) connection and worked fine. I now have no router and it is hard wired via an ethernet cable using Virgin Broadband. However, I cannot get an internet connection. It says Limited or no connectivity and when I try to repair the connection I get no response. Fixes I have tried:

Net Shell resets - no difference

ipconfig /flushdns - no difference

ipconfig /release /renew (via CMD promt) - message says no contact with your DHCP server . . .

Unistalling Network Adapter Drivers (Realtek) - no difference

Now, when I have tried to access the default control page of the cable modem (Motorola) at the default ip 192.168.10.1 IE says it cannot open the search page.

The only thing I done which changed anything is when I changed the windows firewall settings of the connection to off, this then said that it was connected but I couldnt get anything on IE.

I know that the ethernet and the cable modem are ok as I have an older computer which works fine on the same cable (I dont have a router I just change the connection at the back)

Could someone please shed some light on this for me, I would appriciate it greatly.

Dave

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
HI Crazy Legs! Welcome to G2G!

You can't just 'hot swap' the Ethernet cable between two computers when you are not using a router and are connecting straight to the cable/dsl modem. The reason the Internet works fine on our older computer is that the cable modem has configured itself to recognize that computer and therefore allows that computer access to the Internet through it, but the same does not hold true for your other computer.

What you need to do is unplug the power from the back of the cable/dsl modem and then leaving it unplugged, connect the Ethernet cable coming from it into your newer computer. Then wait about 1 minute and then plug the power back into the back of your cable/dsl modem. Now again wait about another 30 seconds to 1 minute while the modem turns on and performs its self tests and configures itself. Then go to the newer computer and see if you can connect to the Internet.

Fenor