Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Relaxing on the beach

• Please log in to reply

Zakilla

Zakilla

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello everyone!,
I need a few opinions about a trip that some of my friends and I would like go on...

Well to the story...
We would like to go on a trip to a beach house somewhere along the North Carolina coast (we are from VA).
But our problem is, will/(or should) the average parent of an 18 year trust their child to go rent a beach house and stay with 12 other teens for a whole week...

(Yes I know we can’t rent beach houses but that is already taken care of...)

I just really wanted the publics’ opinion.

Any response is greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Zakilla

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

But our problem is, will/(or should) the average parent of an 18 year trust their child to go rent a beach house and stay with 12 other teens for a whole week...

I think back to when I was 18... and there's no fast answer to your question here.

You always need somebody with you to keep you accountable - so I guess it depends on the context of the group. If there are no mature teenagers within that group, then I would not consider going.

Cheers

Troy

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
As a mother of a teen, I'd say probably not. A dozen teens is a lot, and even if you're basically good kids, you get that many together and common sense seems to go out the window. Also, even if the house is already rented for you, I've been to a number of beach houses in that area and many stipulate that there must be an adult in the house. If you violate the rules of the lease, you could conceivably be kicked out.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

As a mother of a teen, I'd say probably not. A dozen teens is a lot, and even if you're basically good kids, you get that many together and common sense seems to go out the window. Also, even if the house is already rented for you, I've been to a number of beach houses in that area and many stipulate that there must be an adult in the house. If you violate the rules of the lease, you could conceivably be kicked out.

I have to agree with Sari here - I don't care how responsible teens are, but you get a bunch together, and something may, and most often does happen. I am an uncle myself, and if I was responsible for my nieces or nephews, I would insist on having at least ONE adult on the premisis at ALL times, because then you would have someone available if someone gets hurt or has a medical emergency. If that happens, an adult can help you and get the help that you need.

I am not saying that adults have to "hover over you", but at least ONE should be available to you in an emergency. This is equally important if you or your friends have medical issues, or if you are swimming or you have something happen IN the beachhouse or ON the property. As Sari says, the lease may say that there must be an adult in the house, and if violated, you could be kicked out.

Without an adult on site, I would also say no.

My .02

Brian

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Sari is right,like the saying goes"One bad apple..............."

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
even taking out the possibility of behavioral issues (i.e. a bunch of teens on a wild bender)...you need to consider the possibility of emergency situations....if someone gets hurt or dies who will know what to do? will there be a panic? if someone gets in REAL trouble who's going to have the knowledge/authority to bail you out?

in a lot of situations if something horrible happens there's not much an 18 year old is going to be allowed to do...i don't care how dire the situation is it's not likely that a hospital is going to ask an 18 year old what they should do or ask for permission for something...which means they're going to have to waste precious time finding the parent....when an older adult would probably have been consulted sooner if they were there..

find some sensible parents that need a week at the beach and go have some fun