Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop gone?

• Please log in to reply

Jcink

Jcink

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks so much for taking all that effort to look at it for me. I didn't know it would be that much work, I almost wish I hadn't asked now. Sorry if I caused any stress.

From your results, I just might be in luck. I have the same exact bios and as I said before the slot that appears damaged for me is slot A. You have 2GB one in B so I'll be able to test this with hopefully the same setup in that respect. I'll go ahead and work on selling my existing RAM and buying a 2GB memory module to give this a test in the next few weeks or so and I'll post an update of my experience. Even if it doesn't work; I just want to try it anyway. I don't doubt you though and some of the other people who have got this working.

Sounds more and more that this is just one of this situations where Dell doesn't "support" any more than 2GB of RAM in it, but it will work. The drivers and support for this computer are all 32 bit the last time I checked, and this is maybe a reason they didn't advertise that it could be pushed up and have 2GB memory in the slots.

Also, I agree with you, overall, this was a great model. I "stress" this system out, and this has been my first really critical problem. The other stuff was easy, a keyboard replacement, a fan replacement, and working with the insides is simple. It runs 24/7, barely gets turned off/gets a break, I play games on it, watch things in HD here, installed ubuntu, toyed with the fan control, did some minor OCing, etc. And this is the worst that's happened to me. Funny how I wasn't even doing anything intensive at the time of "death."

I do have one complaint though; the way the hinges are setup doesn't seem right. The plastic attached to the hinge on the right cracked for me. I had to buy a whole new top to get it replaced (the proper name escapes me.) It feels like there's a lot of pressure in that spot, and opening and closing over time stresses it.

By the way, Windows 7 works just fine on E1505 even though it's not on dell's list of systems for it. (Can you possibly believe it? :)). It has to be Windows 7 32 bit + then you just need to get the drivers for your graphics card. In my case with the ATI Radeon the only drivers available are the 32 bit ones for Windows Vista. They work great on 7 without any problems so far for two weeks. It's so much better than Windows XP which is what I originally had; a fresh install of that automatically detected absolutely nothing.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll post back here eventually.

Edited by Jcink, 23 November 2009 - 05:49 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Sounds more and more that this is just one of this situations where Dell doesn't "support" any more than 2GB of RAM in it, but it will work

Its not a Dell issue!
Its the manufacturer of the board. Dell buys its boards as do other computer manufacturers.
And sometimes the specs do not match. That is just the way it is.

woggly

woggly

• Pip
  • 4 posts
that is why I sent the series as well as the bios. If the series is the same it should go shouldn't it?

Jcink

Jcink

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I won't be posting the results of this for a while longer now. The backlight on my screen died. What luck...