Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Hello Everyone:

I recently went to my friends house, and he runs Windows Vista Basic on his laptop. When he does Windows Updates, there is an update available for Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista When he attempts to install this update There is no green progress bar, and then it will say:

"Some updates were not installed (Failed: 1 Update) Errors Found: Code 80073712 (Get Help)
Most recent check for updates 6:50 Am 9/17/08

It seems that this update will not install and I have tried it 2-3 times. Is this Update an update that is really required, and if it is, I would like to install it, in case it is stopping other updates from being detected and installed. I can install other updates, but want to make sure this one wont crash the system.

Does anyone have any experiences with this update?

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 25 September 2008 - 08:18 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There's quite a few people with this problem Most fixes involve deleting the update agent and reinstalling it, from websites like this one.

http://www.windowsre...windows-update/

Even going thru the Microsoft website does not have any other fixes available.
But i also read that many find the fix did not help, so the usual fix then is a reinstall of windows Vista.

SRX660

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

There's quite a few people with this problem Most fixes involve deleting the update agent and reinstalling it, from websites like this one.

http://www.windowsre...windows-update/

Even going thru the Microsoft website does not have any other fixes available.
But i also read that many find the fix did not help, so the usual fix then is a reinstall of windows Vista.

SRX660

SRX660:

Thank you for this information!! Unfortunately, searching for the problem using the name of this update, and the words Install Failed deals with only SP1 for Vista. My question is, why would M$ put out an update to upgrade its Seach Facility if the update won't install as it should? I would think that M$ would give us some answers for this problem that do NOT involve reinstalling Vista.

The problem is, that if I follow these directions, and I have a crash, I am not sure that my friend has a physical Vista DVD disc to do the reinstall. He has a recovery partition, so I am not sure how you would do this (Computer is a ACER ASPIRE 3100 Laptop, and apprears to have SP1 for Vista Basic installed) Has anyone had this update work properly? I don't want to have to reinstall without making sure that I wont have to redo all his updates.

Brian

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I find it an annoyance on my XP, so I turned it off. Here is what it's for and possibly a manual download (rather than from Windows updates)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I find it an annoyance on my XP, so I turned it off. Here is what it's for and possibly a manual download (rather than from Windows updates)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157

Jacee:

How does one go about disbling this: Google search doesn't really tell much on this? :)

Thanks for all the help so far!!

Brian

further info found:

Block WS4 - Using a Registry Fix

It looks like it worked but I still see this update, but it said that one was NOT needed - I followed the directions EXACTLY, but don't know if it did what it was supposed to do.....

Any thoughts??

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 25 September 2008 - 11:51 AM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I unchecked it in the start up using msconfig. :)

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I unchecked it in the start up using msconfig. :)

Hi Jacee :)

Well, today I was able to fix my friend's machine. I ran the WS4 reg fix, adding what it told me to, but it still showed in available updates. My buddy then reported that there was an update that was optional that was for his ATA controller that I was able to hide, so I HID the Windows Search 4.0 recommended update and other optionals that do not seem to impact his laptops operation until I can check these further, as they failed the last time.

Brian