Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8027 Errors, Blue Screen errors :( Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

dcj2000

dcj2000

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a Dell B120 Inspiron Laptop (WIN XP) and I have had issues with the "Blue Screen of death."

I had to use the factory reinstall setting several times, It gets to about 75% and then i get an error like

"Abort 8027, A General Exception occured. Not Ready error reading Drive C. Abort, Retry, fail? "

If i type Abort, Retry or fail ... I just get the error over and over.

Other issues are that whenever i go on my computer and try to use the internet or play a game/ use a program , I'll get a Blue Screen error like: "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" or something like that. I also get another blue screen, but with a different error.

I also get the errors when i try to install things.

I can't recall installing anything, and i certainly haven't added any new hardware.

I should mention that I'm running on no battery, only using the power supply (my battery died.)
I know this might cause Blue screens, but that doesn't explain the error i get when trying to use the factory reinstall option.

Any suggestions ? I'm looking for help from someone who know's what they are doing.

Is this a problem with the Hard Drive?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0066.JPG

Edited by dcj2000, 17 September 2008 - 11:23 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The second set of numbers after the error code tells me this.

0xC0000185, or STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, indicates improper termination or defective cabling on SCSI devices or that two devices are trying to use the same IRQ.

0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

A page of kernel data was not found in the pagefile and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware.

http://msdn.microsof...y/ms793989.aspx

It looks like you may need some hardware drivers from the dell website.

If it was bad sectors on the HD you would get this error.

0xC000009C, or STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR, typically indicates bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk.

or this

0xC000016A, or STATUS_DISK_OPERATION_FAILED, indicates bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk.

I would also look at the network card and the video card drivers in Device manager for the IRQ's they are using. Video should be on its own IRQ that no other hardware uses.

http://www.helpwithp...rq-settings.htm

SRX660

dcj2000

dcj2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Umm ok, the issue I'm having right now is that i can't even get to the Windows XP screen.

When it boots up i get this message:

" Loading PBR for descriptor 2... Done " and then nothing happens afterwards.

Also when i use the System Restore, It will get to 75% and then i get:

"Abort 8027, A General Exception occured. Not Ready error reading Drive C. Abort, Retry, fail? "

I dunno what to do. :) :)

Edited by dcj2000, 18 September 2008 - 04:57 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Dell computer's usually have 3 partitions on the hard drive. Two partitions are hidden. Descriptor '1' is the Dell Utility partition, '2' is the XP partition, and '3' is the Dell Restore partition.

"Loading PBR for descriptor 2 ... failed" would be the exact error message if the MBR is unable to load the partition boot record for the second partition. There may be more, but here are three possible causes:

1. the partition table is corrupted so that the descriptor points to the wrong place (i.e., says the partition is one place when it's really somewhere else);

2. the partition table descriptor points to the right place, but the boot record there is corrupted or has been erased;

3. the hard disk is failing and having trouble reading the sector with the boot record.

To check (1), visit http://www.goodells....store/fixes.htm and download the dsrfix utility. Use it to capture a logfile and review the logfile with notepad for any errors. In short, if dsrfix reports a clean bill of health, then (1) isn't the problem.

To check (3), run hard disk diagnostic tests. Press F12 when the machine is starting and see if the bios boot menu offers you a hard disk diagnostic test that you can run. Or even better, if you know the brand of the hard disk, most manufacturers should have a free diagnostic utility you can download to test the hard disk.

If it's not (1) or (3), then use Ctrl+F11 to run the Dell restore utility to recreate the Windows partition.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 18 September 2008 - 05:20 PM.

dcj2000

dcj2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

"Loading PBR for descriptor 2 ... failed" would be the exact error message if the MBR is unable to load the partition boot record for the second partition. There may be more, but here are three possible causes:

1. the partition table is corrupted so that the descriptor points to the wrong place (i.e., says the partition is one place when it's really somewhere else);

2. the partition table descriptor points to the right place, but the boot record there is corrupted or has been erased;

3. the hard disk is failing and having trouble reading the sector with the boot record.

To check (1), visit http://www.goodells....store/fixes.htm and download the dsrfix utility. Use it to capture a logfile and review the logfile with notepad for any errors. In short, if dsrfix reports a clean bill of health, then (1) isn't the problem.

To check (3), run hard disk diagnostic tests. Press F12 when the machine is starting and see if the bios boot menu offers you a hard disk diagnostic test that you can run. Or even better, if you know the brand of the hard disk, most manufacturers should have a free diagnostic utility you can download to test the hard disk.

If it's not (1) or (3), then use Ctrl+F11 to run the Dell restore utility to recreate the Windows partition.

SRX660

By using Restore i meant Ctrl+F11, but i keep getting that error after it is 3/4 done:

Can i use this even though i cannot even get to the screen with all the applications/icons ? I can't even get to notepad, because it won't boot up properly.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The typical way to boot to real DOS is with a DOS boot floppy. If your system does not have a floppy drive, however, booting from a bootable CD or a bootable flash drive are suitable alternatives. To prepare for the following steps, download the dsrfix.zip archive file and extract dsrfix.com or dsrfixcd.iso. You may optionally wish to include ptedit.exe from ptedit.zip.

To make a bootable CD: You will need a machine with a CD/DVD burner and your burning software must be capable of creating a CD from an ISO image. Nero and Roxio EasyCD Creator include that capability. If you don't have either of those, a very simple freeware tool that can do this is ImgBurn, which can be downloaded from www.imgburn.com. Download ImgBurn and install it. Launch ImgBurn and use the iso file, dsrfixcd.iso, to create a CD. Boot from the CD and run Dsrfix.
(Note to reader: The other files in the archive are supplemental. Dsrfixcd.iso is the only file required to make a bootable CD.)

Note: a drawback to this method is that a CD is read-only, so if you boot from a CD you cannot save a dumpfile or backup your MBR to the CD. However, if your system does not have a floppy drive, you may need to forego saving these.

To make a bootable flash drive: Your computer's bios must support booting from a USB device. (I believe all Dell computers shipped since the advent of the PC-Restore system probably support booting from a USB device.) Flash drives have become quite inexpensive and ubiquitous. There are plenty of good instructions on the Internet about how to make a flash drive bootable. Do a google search for "usb bootable flash drive" and find a method you like. After making your flash drive bootable, copy dsrfix.com (and ptedit.exe, if desired) onto it. Insert the flash drive into a USB port and reboot the computer.
(Note to reader: The other files in the archive are supplemental. The only file you need to copy to the flash drive is dsrfix.com.)

Warning: the computer will treat your flash drive as the first "hard disk" in the computer. Your real hard disk will typically be shifted to second in order. When you run Dsrfix, make sure you use the /81 switch to read the "second" disk! If you forget to include the command-line switch, Dsrfix will read the MBR of the flash drive instead.

With the above you do not even need the computer to boot. It only needs to be able to run. If you cannot get dsrfix to run from a CD than most likely your hard drive is dead and needs replacing. If so, i would try and see if Dell would help with a recovery CD for your computer.

SRX660