Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Desktop Problem.

• Please log in to reply

LSama

LSama

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm sure you guys are getting tired of seeing threads like this, but after lots of searching and two hours worth of beating my head against a wall, I still can't fix this.

For the past several weeks, my desktop has been this sorta of plain blue-grey that I thought was just a default image from StyleXP, and I hadn't bothered to change it. But today, I decided to do so, and after doing so, saw this:

Posted Image

You can't quite see it in the screenshot, but there's a white outline around where the picture should be, at the very edge of the screen--just one pixel wide. Either way, that wasn't normal, so I start battling with my machine. I can right click on my desktop, and get this:

Posted Image

As you can see, nothing is grayed out. I can click on Browse, I can pick any image I want, but every time I hit apply, all I see is a black screen, with the little icon in the upper left denoting an image file, IF it's set to STRETCH. Now, if I set the position to CENTER, it doesn't make the chosen image appear, but that little icon DOES go away. I can also set the background color to any color I want but, again, no actual image. I have tried rightclicking the image I want straight in the folder itself and hitting 'Set as Desktop Image', with the same result. I have also tried images from the web.

I started browsing the web, looking for help, and have done the following:

I have gone into my Display>Desktop>Customize Desktop>Web settings and made sure everything is checked off.
I have gone into my registry to check for the wallpaper file in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\System that I've read could be deleted to help with this issue. No dice there, either.

When I reboot, I see the desktop I've picked for a few seconds, before the machine restarts. However, unlike some people, I don't see it before hand. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edited by LSama, 19 September 2008 - 09:20 AM.

Advertisements