Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer does not refresh CD/DVD

• Please log in to reply

Qinx

Qinx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I have a very strange problem with my CD/DVD drives. When switch CDs/DVDs, Windows Explorer will still show the contents of the previous disk. Even up to the point where you can load documents that were on the old disk, as long as they were loaded into memory before.

It takes a good 20 to 30 minutes for Explorer to realize the old disk has been long gone. It gets annoying if I try to do anything to the new disk (i.e. trying to read it with DVD software, trying to read it into Nero or Alcohol120%). Everything will just lock up. I cannot kill the processes through Task Manager either.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2. I tried to update using Windows update, but apparently I'm up to date, since the only thing that I got from that was Media Player 10.

I used the guide on this web page to check for any spyware, but apart from some cookies (that I removed when found), there was nothing (I checked using Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, SpySweeper and HiJack-This).

I thought something might be wrong with the virtual drives I was using from Alcohol120%, but shutting them down and removing them didn't solve the issue.

AVG did not find any virusses.

When I used Google before (2 weeks ago maybe), I found a page where somebody was complaining he had the same problem, and someone suggested to try and removing all of his DVD/CD drives from the device manager, then reboot. This helped me for a few days, and will help again when i try again, but after those few days, the problems are back again.

The other suggestion was to re-install windows explorer since it might be corrupted, but since that probably involves repairing or maybe even re-installing XP, I want to save that as a last resort.

Today, I cannot find this page again (no idea why I didn't drop it in my favorites), but somebody else seems to have the same problem as well, so at least I'm not alone... http://www.opentechs...ead.php?t=20265 (there's no solution presented there that helps me in any way though).

My hardware:
DVD1: NEC ND-3520A
DVD2: Pioneer DVR-106
768MB RAM
MB: Asus A7V880
CPU: AMD (forgot if it was Athlon or Sempron) 2800+
HDD1: WD 200Gb IDE
HDD2: WD 40Gb IDE

Edited by Qinx, 02 May 2005 - 02:32 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it change if you click start, my computer, view, refresh

Qinx

Qinx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No. Tried that and hitting refresh (F5) dozens of times, but to no avail...

purpleproject

purpleproject

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Have the same problem mate - it did it on SP1 too so I just assumed my drives were being a bit kooky - I now have SP2 with new drives and it still does it.... :-(