Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help- delete button will not work

• Please log in to reply

amymv

amymv

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello-

I deleted about 6,000 msgs from deleted folder. This was this morning..and since then my delete button will not work. It is showing read like it will click to delete the inbox emails but it does not. I use outlook express for emails. Please help!! :)

Advertisements

nate1232

nate1232

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've had a similar problem. I downloaded a song from limewire and after that it was either my enter button or backspace that stopped working, I forget. Anways I fixed it by just deleting the file. But in your case it happened when you deleted something... Virus maybe? Run a scan, if you haven't already.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
System File Checker.

SFC is a good utility to run when you suspect that system files have been somehow corrupted. It validates the digital signatures of all of the Windows system files and restores any that it finds are incorrect. It will use the on-disk cache if possible, but SFC may require that you provide your original installation CD or a location with an image thereof. (See this prior article about not having an installation CD on some of the alternatives if that's the case.)

To run the system file checker press Start, Run, and then type in SFC followed by its options.

The most common usage of SFC is this:

SFC /scannow

This causes SFC to scan your system immediately. SFC can take a few minutes to run. As I said above have your installation CD or equivalent available in case SFC needs to replace a damaged file.

While it's not documented anywhere, if SFC replaces any system files I'd reboot. I just like to make absolutely certain that the file replacement actually takes effect.

The Microsoft knowledgebase includes more detailed SFC documentation including more options to check at boot time, control the size of the system file protection cache, and so on. Speaking of which, the knowledgebase also includes System File Protection documentation covering the mechanism Windows XP uses to keep your system files safe automatically.

UPDATE: If you have no CD, but you do have an I386 directory or CD image somewhere, check out this article: How do I tell Windows where my I386 folder has moved? Once you make the changes therein, you should be able to run SFC to completion.

The other alternative is simply to reinstall Internet Explorer, and with it Outlook Express, by downloading the latest version.

SRX660