Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alt key problem in games

• Please log in to reply

gamman500

gamman500

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having a problem with my laptop, running Windows XP service pack 2. It's an alienware (i forget what model, it's a couple years old) and up until recently, no problems whatsoever.
About a week ago however, i was trying to play Worms World Party, and couldn't manage to move using the keyboard. After going through the options, trying to find the problem in keybindings, i finally gave up and started trying to quit (alt-f4). this didn't work. I started to push every button on my keyboard, trying to determine if it was a hardware problem. to my surprise, pushing the alt button and an arrow key allowed me to move. release alt, no movement. push alt, movement!
Hoping it's a freak problem, i restarted the computer. Problem persists. Loading up Age of Empires 2, keyboard works fine. As with Dawn of War, Fable, and Diablo 2. So far, the only two games i've been able to duplicate the problem are with Worms World Party, and the N-game (flash game where you play as a ninja).
I've played both WWP and the N-game frequently, they only recently started acting up. No new software installed, no new hardware, no internet connection and virus scan is clean.
My coworker (we're deployed) is having a similar problem with his laptop, an Asus something-or-other running Vista. We haven't tried WWP or the N-game on his, but he's having the problem in Bioshock, not being able to move unless he holds the alt key. Once again, no new hardware, but he's installed a couple new games in the past two weeks. No internet connection for him either, and virus scan good. We've swapped movies via an external hard drive, but that's the only interface the computers have had, and the virus software can't find anything bad on that drive, either.

Does anyone have any advice over what this could be? Some setting that somehow got changed on both our computers? Google hasn't helped, nor has the search function on this or any other tech forum i've found.
Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
If the problem exists only in those two games, then it rules out out a system or hardware issue. Have you considered uninstalling those games and reinstalling?