Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft C++ runtime Error while trying to install WoW

• Please log in to reply

axlm

axlm

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi. Lately I've been having a problem updating my WoW client. I decided to try to uninstall and reinstall the client, but now when I run the downloader I get the same c++ runtime error, and the program quits. Just ask for any information you might need to help me out, and thanks for helping if you can. :) Here is a list of what I've done so far to get this fixed:
  • Made sure it wasn't Malware. Link
  • Updated Graphics card driver and control center.
  • Ran Windows Update. Again...
  • Used Repair function in Microsoft .NET 3.5 Installer to verify no corrupted files.

One fix that I'm working on right now is to downgrade my ATI drivers to a previous version that worked. The problem is, I don't know how to downgrade my drivers. Can anyone post a link or description on how to do that? Thanks :)

[Edit]
Possible Success Story:

I made a backup of my complete hard drive for restoring my computer if the hard drive ever failed. Afterward I realized it was too big to fit on a cd, so I just left it on my hard drive. I found it today after reading a defragmentation log saying that it could not be defragmented. So I might have a working installation of wow again after a few hours when this gets done restoring the backup. Wish me luck ^^

Nope, it didn't work :) I'll try downloading the game from an alternate source, and see if that works.

Well, it sort of works, but I cannot patch the client at all. Does anyone know how to manually patch the client?

Edited by axlm, 25 September 2008 - 01:15 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello axim,

Have you tried laying contact with Blizzard about this?
they probably have a better understanding of what exactly is going on.

Manually patching the client can be done by downloading the updates individually from a mirror site, putting them in the WoW root folder and running the patch.

I've had some fair share of my own trouble with wow but blizzard can usually provide an answer.
After all, you're paying for the game, you have the right to get support :)

Regards,
Olrik

axlm

axlm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, I finally got someone from Blizzard to contact me a few days ago, I sent him some log files, dxdiag.txt and msinfo.txt. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon telling me what the problem is.

axlm

axlm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, I guess I'm a linux user now. I've switched to ubuntu, but I still have windows dual booting on my machine (a security blanket of sorts XD) I'm going to try to use wine to run wow, I've seen a few tutorials showing how to do it :)

Wish me luck XD

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Good Luck indeed :)
I have heard of a few friends that do it.

Regards,
Olrik