Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Font change of Internet explorer

• Please log in to reply

clixto

clixto

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Today when I opened IE the font was very big. What should I do? Is this malware?

thanks in advance

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi clixto!

This isn't necessarily malware, and usually isn't. To fix it do the following: With Internet Explorer open, hold down the CTRL key and slowly (one 'click' at a time) scroll the wheel on your mouse down until you get to your desired text size.

If you notice anything else acting up on your computer, like pop ups when surfing the Net or your computer running a lot slower then it did just a short time ago, then it might be a cause of some spyware/virus (aka malware) has gotten on your system, but if you don't notice anything like that, then don't worry about it.

Fenor

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Cool thank you. I have one more question. Not sure if I can post it here. When I open word files on my system It has been not responding.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does Word open and just hang? If so, does it say something like 'Requesting Virus Scan' at the bottom left corner of the window?

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Just hangs! I click crtl-alt -del and it says not responding. I have to close and try reopening. Sometimes it takes 2-3 times for it to open. I don't recall anything about virus scan.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have any version of Norton installed, go into the Options in Norton and find the options for disabling the Office Plug-in. There is also a fix if you have AVG, but I won't post that unless it's needed.

Fenor

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I only have Avira installed.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does word still hang if you just start it from it's shortcut and not actually double-click a word file you created yourself?

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hi Fenor, I didn't try that before. Just did and it opens normally from the short cut. I guess it's only when I click on the file.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Most likely the file is corrupted. Just recreate it manually and go from there.

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
It seems to do this with every one I try to open. Should I reinstall the program again?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Might be a good idea to go into ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and click the CHANGE button for Office and choose the REPAIR option.

clixto

clixto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
ok I'll give it a try.
thx for your help