Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access or even format D: partition drive

• Please log in to reply

gadfly

gadfly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I don't know what I've done here or what is wrong, but someone PLEASE help me.

IT started with my computer (Acer Aspire 3680 Laptop: 80GB HDD, 2 GB RAM, Windows Vista Basic) blanking out on me the other day. I came home from work and the screen was just a grayish white color....could not be revived, could not be shut down. I held down the power button to turn it off but then it would not even reboot to windows. FOr some reason I decided to take the battery out and disconnect power completely and then when I reconnected power and tried again it booted up fine and I used it for about ten minutes and then it "blanked" out again. It froze up and then the gray pixel beast attacked my screen until the whole screen was consumed and I had to disconnect power again. Wierd.

SO yah, I starting looking around for a new laptop. Just for fun I decided to use my Acer eRecovery disc that I had made to restore my computer back to factory default just in case it was some kind of hardware problem that was causing these blank outs. After I finally got the system restored to default I used the computer for maybe 30 min and then it blanked out again.

My mission at that point was simply to get the computer working well enough so that I could use it in 10 minute intervals (or however long it lasted) to research on the internet what laptop I wanted to buy to replace it. The more I researched a new laptop, the less often my computer was "blanking" out on me and now it hasn't done that for several days. WIERD!

Anyway, so now I am resolved to go ahead and use this computer until it dies. I told you all that basically for background info just in case you think it might have anything to do with the problem I am having now:

My problem now is that my acer eRecovery program wouldn't let me create a user backup anymore. Since the user backup images from this program are stored onto the D: partition of my hard drive I decided maybe if I formatted my D: drive it could make eRecovery work again. I never got that far though, I ended up deciding to try "scanning the disk for errors" first just to see if that helped. When I did that it scanned a few seconds and then the scanning utility locked up and stopped scanning. I clicked "cancel" and ever since I did I cannot access my D: drive AT ALL....I cannot format it I cannot open it or anything. If I try to open it it says "drive inacessable".

What should I do?

Advertisements

gadfly

gadfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, update: I restart my computer and I can now access the D: drive. It was DEFINITELY the disk scanner that screwed things up....I did it again just to verify. Why won't it let me scan this disk?

So before I do anything else stupid. Does anyone have any suggestion about what I should do to get my Acer eRecovery working right again? Is formatting the D: drive even a good idea? (not sure if it will even let me if I decide to)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Your "D" drive is a partition on your hard drive that has an image of your Windows operating system.
It is only used to restore the computer back to factory condition.
It is not accessable.
It sounds like you have a hardware issue, possibally your RAM, or hard drive.

Please go to the memtest web site, do not buy the disc.
Get the free download, and read the information on the site.