Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mystery Device

• Please log in to reply

ben.findlay

ben.findlay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a mystery device that I can neither figure out what it is nor how to remove it perminantly.

The problem started randomly on April 16th while playing America's Army. I disconnected from a game server, and when I tried to connect to a different one, PunkBuster kicked me for "Blocked O/S Privilages". I was not able to connect to any punkbuster enabled game server after that. I was dumbfounded as I had been playing America's Army problem free for roughly a year and a half. I contacted both PunkBuster & America's Army support, and neither of them could solve the problem. Other than inhibiting PunkBuster from functioning, the mystery device causes me no other problems. Here is what I know about the device:

The device is currently listed in my device manager under Other devices as eh06b282; however, it seems to change to a different seemingly randomly generated name every few days.

When I view the details tab in the proporties of this mystery device, these are the values that are present:
Device Instance Id: ROOT\LEGACY_EH06B282\0000
Enumerator: ROOT
Devnode Flags: DN_ROOT_ENUMERATED, DN_HAS PROBLEM, DN_DISABLEABLE, DN_NT_ENUMERATOR, DN_NT_DRIVER
Current Power State: D3
Power Capabilities: PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED, PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
Power State Mappings: S0->D0, S1->D3, S2->D3, S3->D3, S4->D3, S5->D3

Windows is not able to find a driver for this device.

When I right click on it in the Device Manager and uninstall it, I am able to start America's Army, connect to a PunkBuster enabled server, and play normally. The problem is once I disconnect from that server, I am unable to join it or any other PunkBuster server. The next time I reboot after being kicked by PunkBuster, the mystery device will try to install itself again. So currently, I am able to connect to one PunkBuster server per windows boot.

After failing to solve the problem on the America's Army and PunkBuster support forums, I decided last night to reformat and repartition my main hard-drive and back-up important files and installers on my secondary hard-drive. I then reinstalled Windows XP Pro on the main drive and went about reinstalling programs and a few drivers. I rebooted several times while installing various software. The mystery device was nowhere in sight, and I was feeling pretty good about myself. I installed America's Army, started up the game, and successfully connected to a PunkBuster enabled server. I disconnected, then attempted to join a different PunkBuster server and was kicked for the same "Blocked O/S privilages" problem as before. I imediately rebooted and found the mystery device once again staring me in the face trying to install via the Windows Found New Hardware Wizard.

I haven't added any new hardware in the past six months, let alone the past two weeks. I've tried unplugging all my peripherals, but they have proved to not be the culprit. Currently, I do not have the option of reformatting and repartitioning both of my hard drives as I don't have the means (out of CD-Rs and not enough webspace) of backing up my important files on any other media. I can produce hijack this logs, dxdiag logs, and findit logs though they didn't seem to shed any light on the problem with the other techs. So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to perminantly remove this mystery hardware by other means?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I would stay away from that place. Sounds like it puts some kind of malware on you system. Work though this and see if you can get rid of it

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

This if from the top of this forum where it says "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please start here"

ben.findlay

ben.findlay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I went through all of those steps while trying to fix the problem on the PunkBuster & America's Army tech forums. Just in case I ran all those programs and followed all those steps again just now and everything came back clean. If it is the effect of a malware, the malware is gone or undetectable.