Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multi-session use of DVD+R and DVD-R for Data

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have a question regarding the use of DVD+R and DVD-R as substitute for saving large amounts of Data ,in my particular case MP3 Files. I have read somewhere that reading of said compilation will not include the latest multi-session additions. If this is true please advise. I have at the present time 1.6 gigs of music files sitting in folders on my computer and I would like to consolidate them on a DVD.

Waynf

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A DVD can hold 4.7Gb of stuff, music, pictures or whatever.
Multi-session DVDs are possible but a lot is totally dependent on the drive(s) being used and their ultimate destination of the media.
You can burn all the files in a single session through Nero or any other burning program and they'll be readable.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks for your swift reply, but maybe i should just say one thing, I used to store said files on CD-R's and I could go back and add stuff after(until its full of course), but with a compiliation this size purchasing and indexing of files this size becomes an enormity of task, so I was hoping to do it on DVD. I really just want to know if I configure the job to be multi-task using Nero Ultra 7, if I can go back later and add more files, and will they all be readable by Windows after.

Which brings up another point of burning DVD's using Nero 7. there is a section where you can "finalize DVD",. what does this do and is there any difference between just burning and "finalizing" the DVD

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Finalizing the DVD means you can't write anything more to it. Nero will let you make a multi-session DVD (which is basically not finalizing it) but not all drives like multi-session DVDs and XP isn't particularly keen on talking to with them either on an installation by installation basis - sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. CDs no problem but DVDs... Meh, no guarantees.

If at the end of the day your aim is to simply back up your music, an external hard drive may be a better solution.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Well maybe I'm going about this the wrong way, and should go backwards a bit. The major reason I was desiring to back up the files onto a disc, was because I was fearful that 1.5 Gb of material sitting on the pc in My Music folder might be slowing down my pc. I try to keep as clean as possible to aid performance. Can this amount of memory usage slow down my pc or not.? I assume these files are sitting in RAM. Am I correct?

Edited by waynf, 20 September 2008 - 06:22 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Hard drive space and memory are not the same thing.
Since most PCs these days come with at least 160Gb of hard drive space (and more) 1.5Gb of music is nothing more than a drop in the ocean.
System performance tends to go down when the drive becomes fragmented, full, mechanically worn down or when the system gets choked with malware infections. Simple storage of music isn't a reason for slow-down.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks for your reply and it puts my mind at ease for now.