Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some Windows Updates Failing

• Please log in to reply

cschaaf

cschaaf

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
IndiGenus, over in the Malware boards, helped me work through malware issues I had. I got that all cleaned up, but I have a problem getting a few Windows updates to complete.

The three that won't update are:

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404)
Update for Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter (KB956077)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB954478)

IndiGenus had me use the 'msiexec /unreg' and 'msiexec /regserver' commands and that didn't help. Neither did downloading the updates separately and trying to install them that way.

Here is the original thread from my malware issues if it helps: http://www.geekstogo...ms-t210774.html

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command. Wait for succeeded after each entry before proceding to the next entry.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

cschaaf

cschaaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I ran all of those sucessfully, now only 2 updates showd in the update window (rity Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404) and (Security Update for Office 2003 (KB954478)). If I try to run updates through IE, a line pops up that says: Important

You've hidden important updates
You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority updates but your computer might be at risk until they are installed. Restore them now

Thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let me know.

cschaaf

cschaaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I don't see anything in your latest post.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Download, and run Windows Update Repair Tool: http://software.hitoma.com/WURT/
To download the tool, click on I Agree link.

cschaaf

cschaaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Okay, I ran through that. I tried installing the updates, and the still won't load.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try Method 1 listed HERE.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- Just noticed that you already tried that method. :) Feel free to try the other ones though.

Edited by Fenor, 24 September 2008 - 10:45 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you choose to install updates manually you get a list of all the downloaded updates checked up. You can uncheck those that you don't want to install. Then you are asked if you want these updates never to show up again. If you click no, the unchecked updates will show up next time. If you click yes, they will not show again. It looks as if the two updates were marked, intentionally or not, not to show up.

Try to download the updates and install them in safe mode with your antivirus disabled.

cschaaf

cschaaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I treid loading them in safe mode and all of them came back with the simple message: "KB953404 - Can not be applied."

:)

Thanks for all of the help!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
They are non-important updates and very well could just not be needed on your system and that is why they are not being installed. I would just hide the updates so that they don't appear again.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 25 September 2008 - 02:33 PM.

cschaaf

cschaaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Okay, thank you. I will just hide them and see where things go from there.

Thanks for the help!