Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware or Virus issue? DVD/CD drawer won't stay shut!

• Please log in to reply

dachllo

dachllo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Compaq Presario laptop and recently replaced the DVD/CD drive just to learn that it is still poppping open with the new one.
I didn't think it was a virus as I run Norton's 360 and it didn't detect a virus so now I'm puzzled as to what is causing this.
I can't use it to play or burn CDs because it continoulsy pops open every time I start up the computer.
Does anyone have a suggestion that might help??
Thanks in advance.

Edited by dachllo, 21 September 2008 - 10:56 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It may be a bad cookie 3130 from yimg.com. Find and delete the cookie.

If you use PtoP software , there is a joke startup program that does this. Look for it in msconfig.

Perhaps your computer has been hacked, look for spyware on it.

Your drive may have a stuck eject button. I have fixed one drive by taking the face plate off and cleaning a burr i found in the button opening. It would not let the button to come all the way back out , so was alwaysin contact.

You can turn off Auto-run to see if it is a problem with the driver.

1. Navigate to My Computer
2. Right-click on the floppy, CD, or DVD drive you want to adjust
3. Select Properties from the context menu that appears
4. Select the AutoPlay tab
5. You can select what you want windows to do when a disc is inserted based on the content that is detected on the disc.

SRX660

dachllo

dachllo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
SRX660,

Thanks for the repsonse. I will try these suggestions and hopefully it will resolve the issue -very annoying. Hard to believe it could be a stuck eject button but believe anything could be possible.
Not sure what ptop software is though.
With a laptop, I'd imagine it isn't as easy to separate as with an ordinary keyboard.
As far as msconfig, I first need to go into the start button and click run, correct?

Dachllo

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
P to P software is the bit torrent, and similar programs for downloading illegal songs, programs, movies, and such. But if you really did not know what it was then you don't have to worry about downloading bad software from it.

I forgot you said it's a laptop so i would discount the eject button one.

If your running Vista just type in msconfig in the search box at the bottom after clicking the start button. Then hit the enter key to get the UAC window to allow you to go to msconfig. I doubt you need to do this if you do not download with Person to Person software. But it also does not hurt to know what programs are in the startup and processes tabs, so you can spot it when websites try installing software on your computer.

I still think it is a program causing this problem. I just had a games website install all kinds of crap software on my computer when i tried a trial version of a game. I'll never have anything to do with the Iwin game software ever again.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 21 September 2008 - 05:38 PM.

dachllo

dachllo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm running Xp pro on the laptop -too afraid to try Vista just yet.
Do you think it may be worth removing the drivers and reloading for the DVD/CD player? I should be able to go to Hp's website, correct? I'm not very computer savy but like learning about computers. I fear doing more damage than already exists. Fortunately, there are forums and folks like yourself that are knowledgeable and willing to give their time and help.
Since you're leaning more toward a possible program that may be causing this do you recommend a free spyware program I can download to help track it down? Would this also find the other recommendation you had previoulsy mentioned - "It may be a bad cookie 3130 from yimg.com. Find and delete the cookie."

I apprecaite the help.

Dachllo

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
CD trays popping in and out are not cookie related. The day the two become related will be the day that Windows has really lost the plot. :)
Typically this problem of a non-stationery CD tray is due to a stuck button (on a desktop) or a badly loaded disk that means the drive won't lock.
However the same behaviour on two drives discounts this theory and therefore the culprit is something you have running on that computer.
Without knowing what you have running, hard to provide a solution.

Edited by Neil Jones, 22 September 2008 - 03:06 PM.