Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logitech Quickcam Messenger video recording: no file produced

• Please log in to reply

Formerly Kermit

Formerly Kermit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Logitech Quickcam Messenger. Cheap and cheerful £13 job.

Generally speaking, this thing works fine. It takes still pictures in 320x240, 640x480 or 1.3 megapixel either using the button on the control window on-screen or using the snapshot button on the camera, and so far I've had no trouble with that. It does tend to argue with Window Media Player about who gets access to the sound card, but I can get around that and it doesn't seem to be affecting anything else.

Then there's the video record function. I haven't tried using the motion sensor and duration options yet, just clicked start, waited a while and clicked stop.

Most of the time, in 320x240 or 640x480, this creates a video file and an thumbnail of the first frame appears in the gallery. Sometimes, however, no thumbnail appears, and no file is made either.

Two evenings in a row, it has managed to do this non-recording on the one bit of film I actually wanted, so I'm left with lots of footage of nothing happening and then a big gap when everything happened.

I think I can avoid a repeat of this by watching the My Documents / My Videos / QuickCam folder for the file-in-progress that appears there when it's really recording, but I don't want to have to do this.

Any ideas how I can get it to either record every time I tell it to record or admit it's not recording when it isn't really recording?

ETA: No, I can't avoid a repeat. I've just seen the "file in progress" icon disappear and not be replaced by a thumbnail or anything else. It just vanished.

Edited by Formerly Kermit, 22 September 2008 - 11:51 AM.

Advertisements