Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cmos ram test failed

• Please log in to reply

w00189wr

w00189wr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a gateway pentium 4, single core, 2ghz intel processor, Computor model e4000. 1gb ram 2-512sticks. 2gb virtual memory. windows xp home.
for a couple weeks the computer has been restarting, and firefox and ie crashing. I did a windows reinstall, which took me about ten times because because it kept shutting down. Anyway I removed , intercchanged, and just used one stick of ram .
Finally got windows reinstalled but it's still shutting down and programs crashing. I disconnected the second hard drive, the cd roms, the pci cards, and it is still crashing.
I finally downloaded "fix it utilities" and it checked the hardware, and said the cmos ram test failed. So, fine, now I know what's wrong but how do I fix it, or do I have to get a new computer. I also, took out the cmos battery and checked it, it had a good 3 volts, so it should be ok, Can any help me? :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check your memory timings in the BIOS. Some memory setting is causing the memory to crash.

Read this forum to reaklly confuse you, but it tells you what to look for.

http://www.devhardwa...cy-4817.html?s=

SRX660

w00189wr

w00189wr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I read the article, I also went into the bios and there isn't anything that shows the speed. You can't clock a gateway computer. or they make it hard to at the factory. I ran memtest 86 a few days ago, two or three times and it doesn't show anything wrong witah memory.
The cmos ram test game from "fixit utilities" trial version and that's what told me that the cmos test failed. Anything else I need to try or do?