Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cmos checksum error

• Please log in to reply

thomson889

thomson889

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi my problem is I have an asus striker extreme motherboard

which works fine until I unplug system at mains cable the cmos

resets itself to default setting and I have to change date and time

and the rest of the setting, I have tried new battery (cr2032) with no effect I have tested the voltage of the battery.

the firmware is up to date can anybody help

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like the board isn't drawing power from the battery when it can't draw from the mains, are all the jumpers set properly make sure all the jumpers are in the right place and more importantly make sure you haven't left a jumper in the wrong position or off of the board as the Asus boards do sometimes come with jumpers you need to add?

Is all the spacers in properly, incredibly unlikely given such a specific problem but you have to check.

To be honest it sounds like a manufacturing defect if it isn't a jumper problem, the battery isn't getting the power to the CMOS which should be because of a broken or shorted connection somewhere or the actual Bios chip is faulty in some way. Check with Asus support they are actually very good and if its an actual fault they will probably have heard about it before and will RMA it or if you are the first they are in a good place to give you board specific details and little tricks that might not necessarily have floated into the general computer enthusiast population especially with aboard like that on the steep end of the price scale.