Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A good Dell or Asus gaming laptop

• Please log in to reply

Timbydude

Timbydude

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
The topic is pretty self-explanatory; basically I'm looking for a good gaming laptop that can run Crysis at about medium settings while remaining relatively cheap. $1,300 is my limit, but I'm willing to go maybe $100 over that. For what it's worth, I'd prefer it if the computer shipped with Windows XP, but as long as I can format it and install XP on it without any problems I guess I'll be fine.

Oh, and by the way, I cannot build a laptop; I've already tried it and it was simply too frustrating and time-consuming. So, please only suggest retail laptops to me.

Thanks a lot!!!

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You can find good gaming laptops for that cheap at the Dell Outlet. Laptops with a 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX (the Dell M1710) can be found for 1100 USD, if you're willing to upgrade RAM and HDD. If refurbished isn't your thing, none of the cheaper currently shipping Dell Laptops have drivers for Windows XP, but you may find an XPS laptop that floats your boat.

Laptops under $1300 aren't made for gaming. :)

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Actually Admiral, there is a good gaming laptop that is $1299. The AlienWare Area-51 m9750 is built for gaming (obviously...its an alienware!). Altough its an AlienWare, Dell actually bought AlienWare sometime ago but it operates as its own company, so u could say that in a sense AlienWare is Dell :) But anyway, it comes with a Core 2 duo @ 2GHz, 1 gig of DDR2 Ram, 120GB hard drive, a 17" screen, a DVD burner, and a 512-MB nVidia GeForce 8700m GT. I think that these are pretty impressive specs for a gaming laptop @ $1299, and i do think that this laptop can run Crysis pretty well. One thing though, i would upgrade to 2GB of Ram for an extra $150 jus to have the extra and make everything run even smoother! Cheers :)
Link: http://www.alienware...ode=SKU-DEFAULT

Edited by X IBLaCK0uT X, 22 September 2008 - 08:40 PM.