Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help Boot Problem i think

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
i just got this free old computer with windows ME. it starts up, and comes on for like five minutes, then just restarts. It does this over and over. Im a total noob, but how can i fix this? btw it even does this in safe mode.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First make sure all the fans are working and the heat sink is properly attached to the CPU. While it's running make a boot floppy, as you may need it. To do that got to Settings, Control panel, Add/Remove programs and choose the tab for making the floppy. The Windows installation files are in Windows/Options/Install in most ME installations. You can use the files to do a fresh install if need be, by putting them on a CD and starting the setup process with the repair floppy. To do a fresh install you should format the disk, preferable removing the old partition and putting a new one on and formatting it. You need to have the product key to do the fresh install.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thanks for the help.