Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How i can secure my Wi-Fi Connection

• Please log in to reply

harryhott

harryhott

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just installed wi-fi connection of D-Link. I want to secure this connection so that unauthorized persons cant access this network or ask for my permission. Whats the way to do this?

Kindly guide me step by step.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I think the following guide does a pretty good step by step:
http://www.practical...less_secure.htm

Take a look at that, and if that confuses you, or isn't clear enough I'd be happy to take you through step by step :)

Regards,
Olrik

harryhott

harryhott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The guide is good enough, But not fully clear, As it is a generalised one. I am using windows Vista and i dont know WAP encryption, which is written here to be better, and also dont know How other computers will be connected to this if they want. What is MAC address and how to get it for a particular device and what encryption should we use. We are 3-4 persons using same wi-Fi and may be requiring to allow some other fellows also so that they can also use when required.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello again harryhott,

the Operating System doesn't matter, it's the router that you need to make adjustments to.
You can do this by opening a web browser and entering the IP address of the router. (usually something in the lines of 192.168.1.1)

WPA is the encryption you speak of, and it's the best encryption that a router can have at the moment.
a MAC address is the physical address of the computer but I think you might want to skip MAC address protection if you want some other people connecting to your network occasionally.

If you set-up a WPA key for your network, connecting to a network is just as simple as it was before, but before you can get in you need to enter the "Passphrase".

I hope that cleared something up.
Regards,
Olrik

harryhott

harryhott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yeah bro... Cleared, But please guide me now how i can set the pass key.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Ok then.

First off, you open a command window. You can do that by opening your Start Menu, selecting Run... and type cmd and hit enter.
In the black box type ipconfig.
A lot of information will show up, write down the number (with dots) under Default Gateway
This is the IP address from the router.

Next up, you open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox or other variants).
In the address bar, type the IP Address you wrote down.
The router page will show up and you'll be prompted to type in a password.
Standard, this password will be something like admin / admin.
You'll probably see a menu option called "Wireless", open that.

And this page it -should- be self explanatory.

Regards,
Olrik

harryhott

harryhott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Done..Thanks bro

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator