Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

log on log off loop windows xp

• Please log in to reply

challengerMechTech

challengerMechTech

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi all, First time poster here.....nubi extreme...so please bear with me.

I have not been able to get past the windows log on screen since yesterday. Ileft the computer on over night, and when I shut it down in the morning and later turned it on in the evening I coulds not get past log on screen. I did not add any programs nor remove any, no updates were performed to my knowledge and I do have the latest updates/install service packs from microsoft.

Things I have tried so far include:

1. starting in Safe mode = no good
2. boot from original recovery disk and followed instructions from another post here at geeks to go,
( from recovery screen i went to c;/windows/system32 copy userinit.exe to wasupdater.exe) = no good
still get past log on screen. However the copy instruction did work....
3. Created bootable Bartpe disk, and when I ran this software I was able to see in the registry the userinit.exe (under
hksy/software....ect. and was surprised to see that it(wsaupdater) was already changed to userinit.exe? this was
supposed to be step 2 after doing the copy userinit.exe to wasupdater.exe....but yet it was already done??

I would like to try and copy the contents of C:/windows/system32 to a post here to see if someone else can spot something out of the ordinary? OR if anyone has another solution to this log on/log off problem that does not include erasing the hard drive. I would rather search and destroy, then repair....because after all....it's more fun :)

Advertisements

challengerMechTech

challengerMechTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Another intresting note,
When I use the Bartpe software two things happen then what is expected.
1. I get a message "network support is not started yet" do I want to start now?
If i say yes, it fails with "unable to install" if I say no it just say was "unable to install"
Anyways, after that I can hit the "go" button and then goto the Command prompt, The second odd thing is when I navigate to the registry editor and load a hive ....
(Hkey_USER...C:/windows/system32/config/software) it loads, but when I try to name the loaded hive ie "myxphive" it says access denied.

Edited by challengerMechTech, 23 September 2008 - 01:47 PM.

challengerMechTech

challengerMechTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
OK I have made a little progress here using Bartpe tool, When I boot up bartpe software and looked into HKEY_USERS and loaded this hive, i saved it as "myhive" and then proceeded to explore it. Looking for Userinit.exe.

This file I assume should be located at
HKEY_USERS/MY_HIVE_/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS NT/CURRENTVERSION/WINLOGON

But it is not there? i assume it should be?
Can I somehow use/copy the file (userinit.exe) from bartpe to C: drive here? if so what would be correct proceedure? OR should I try to copy it from the original recovery disk, and how would I do that?

challengerMechTech

challengerMechTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok I have made some errors, The above post, I was trying to load the hive located at X: instead of C:
Now I can load hive,save hive.

I am following a set of instructions on how to edit the register using bartpe software, specificly how to fix the "USERINIT.EXE" file as I can not logon to windows xp, it logs me out right away.

So.....If I use my original recovery disk and goto command prompt C:/windows/system32 i can see that userinit.exe does exsist with a value of 26112 of used space.

If I use the Bartpe software and goto regedit, I can load hive C:\Windows\System32\Config\
and open software (without extension) and then save it as "myhive"
I then navigate to..
HKEY_USERS \ MyHive \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

I should see "userinit" in right hand panel but there is nothing with that name there?
The next step according to the Bartpe software is to change the path to.....

C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

But like I say it is not even an option in the right hand panel?

ANY thoughts anyone?
it's strange that i can see it when using the recovery disk on C: drive
but nothing is there when using bartpe software looking at c: drive

I am lost

Chad Smith

Chad Smith

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same issue - try to click to log on and it logs off. When I tried to follow the method of using BartPE, I had a message stating that access to the file was denied when I tried to load the Hive. I have also been unable to find the userinit.exe file. Suggestions?

Edited by Chad Smith, 24 February 2009 - 02:27 PM.

Kansas Tech

Kansas Tech

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Boot from a Windows XP CD
Select "R" for Repair
Select "1" for you Windows operating system
At the C:\WINDOWS prompt, type CD SYSTEM32 and press Enter
Then type COPY USERINIT.EXE WINLOGON32.EXE and press Enter
If you get the 1 FILE COPIED, then type EXIT and reboot your system.
You should now be able to log in.

If you got a message stating that the file is not recognised or missing, do the following:

Type D: and press Enter - assuming D: is the letter for your CDROM drive. If not, put in the drive letter for you CDROM.
Type CD I386 and press Enter (that is the letter I and 386)
Then type EXPAND USERINIT.EX_ C: and press Enter
Type C: and press enter

You should now be back at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
Type COPY USERINIT.EXE WINLOGON32.EXE and press Enter
You should get 1 FILE COPIED.
Type EXIT and reboot system.

Now you should be able to log back into Windows XP.

Edited by Kansas Tech, 25 March 2010 - 02:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This topic is over a year old and I hope the issue has been resolved.