Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot play video from site http://www.visualwebcaster.com/HP/50852/re

• Please log in to reply

sandeep(rdm)

sandeep(rdm)

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone,

I am from L2 supprt for EDS an HP company (information Securuty Analyst). I was working on a issue where one user is not able to play or stream videos available on this link
http://www.visualweb.../50852/reg.html
He can play any other videos online. We assumed that it was an issue with Active X controls. So we completely uninstalled JAVA (Sun) and re-installed it back, which did not work. User was on IE6. Tried resetting all the security & web settings, re-install of IE6. Next step was installing IE7 which also did not resolve the issue. User had mcafee on his machine, so we uninstalled that too and tried was of no help. Then we found that we can no longer uninstall IE 7 (this has become another issue now).
All the network settings are correct. Installed Firefox and it runs fine. I ran sfc scan and it came up with nothing damaged or corrupt. Have tried reparing explorer, ie explorer, java no go. Have tried virtually everything , spent hours and hours.
The last resolution to this would be a re-image, i personally wouldnt like it as i had to spend days to resolve the issue. If anyone can help ???? before i recommend the re-image.

User has Windows XP SP2 installed with IE7 currently in uninstallable state. The machine is dell latitude d610.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Have you tried a codec pack?

Different types of video require different codecs for viewing. If he/she does not have the proper codec installed, it is highly possible the videos will not work. I see it happen all the time.

Quicktime, realplayer, xvid, dvix... programs like that you download install a software but also place codec files in your system32 folder.

There are codec packages which allow you to download the codecs only and install them all into your system32 folder so that you can play just about any video with no isses.

One of the more popular ones is this one.

http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

Download that. Run it, and when you get to the "Select Components" window choose Profile #8 (Lots of stuff without player). Install it, click finish, reboot the machine. Then proceed to attempt to play the videos on the site again.

Also test watching the videos on someone else's computer to see if both do the same thing, because it could be an issue with the HP website.

PS: your link doesn't work to see the videos on the HP site.

sandeep(rdm)

sandeep(rdm)

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have tried that user is running WMP 11 with all codec packs. As I mentioned earlier, I use same player at my end works fine. Also I re-installed his player WMP 11 and IE 7 too. This after removing it completely from the system. Any more suggestions..

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Then my last thought would be somewhere between your computer and the hp server/website everything is fine. Somewhere between his/her pc there is a firewall or some sort of block.

If not that, then I'd say re-image the machine. But re-imaging a machine just so you can view videos on one site is kind of ridiculous in a sense. However if it is needed for them then it must be done.

Other than that, I am all out of ideas.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 25 September 2008 - 08:23 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understood but have you tried installing k-lite codec pack? When you install it it looks for corrupt registry entries related to it's activity and give you an option to repair then. Without going into much details few days ago I had the craziest sound problem I had. I installed and uninstalled the driver a number of times. Downloaded it from different sources, the lot. What solved my problem was reinstallation of K-Lite which rectified the problem in a minute.