Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe missing- no icons, taskbar, start menu or right click

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Well just to give some background info,

I had recently uninstalled a gamepad and other associated software which locked up my keyboard and mouse. To fix the problem I ran the repair utility through the windows xp disc and that fixed the keyboard problem, however now when i start the computer up, explorer.exe does not start. I tried to start it up manually without any luck.

All i get upon bootup is my default xp wallpaper.

I have no icons, taskbar, start menu or right click function.

I ran a quick search and found that the solution that was frequently recommended was using the "repair" function which seemingly caused the problem in the first place. I have yet to try it again.

This is my main personal computer where i store all my documents and pictures so i would really like to avoid a clean install.

any help would surely be appreciated

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If repair installation didn't work, nothing short of a full format and re-install will fix your problem. I know you said that you didn't want to do that, but what I am sure you mean by that is you don't want to lose all your documents and pictures. What you will need to do is what is called a Parallel installation of Windows, which will allow the computer to boot up and for you to backup the files that you want to back up and then format the hard drive and install Windows normally. To do this, following the instructions below:

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

You may need to take Ownership of the files in order to access and copy them to an external media. You can find the steps on how to do this from the Microsoft KB Article found HERE.

Fenor

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

If repair installation didn't work, nothing short of a full format and re-install will fix your problem. I know you said that you didn't want to do that, but what I am sure you mean by that is you don't want to lose all your documents and pictures. What you will need to do is what is called a Parallel installation of Windows, which will allow the computer to boot up and for you to backup the files that you want to back up and then format the hard drive and install Windows normally. To do this, following the instructions below:

Hi fenor,

well i think what I meant was i've had this setup on this computer for the longest time with it setup exactly the way i like it. I added the document and pictures comment to emphasize how this one above the other 2 pcs in the household was the computer I used the most. My desktop was cluttered exactly the way i liked it. Software and all. I just never thought id find myself in a position where id have to reformat my main and start all over again.

I guess it's time to back up my data and part ways.

thanks for your time and help. You probably saved me alot of time and extra grief from trying to find that miracle fix that doesnt exist.

Kalian

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ahh wait...

When you start you computer, how long does it take to log in?
Can you go on Safe-mode... and does it work properly?
When logged in to Windows, is the explorer.exe process started?

Please answer these questions and I will get back to you...

I've had a similar problem this is why i ask.

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Ahh wait...

When you start you computer, how long does it take to log in?
Can you go on Safe-mode... and does it work properly?
When logged in to Windows, is the explorer.exe process started?

Please answer these questions and I will get back to you...

I've had a similar problem this is why i ask.

too late. i already began reformatting.

but log in to the computer was immediate.
i had the same problem when booting into safe mode as well so no it didnt work properly.
and no explorer.exe did not auto start, nor could i manually start it.
Right click was also completely disabled.

also, no commands that i input into the run box worked including cmd, msconfig nor could i open any third party programs that were installed on my comp.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Oh, then this was completely different :)