Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS key

• Please log in to reply

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a eMachine that the motherboard went out on. I put a new one in and the computer came on but said that "recent hardware changes require me to reactivate it in the next 3 days". So I looked at the sticker on the back and typed that in and it wouldn't take it. I says that I have used the key too many times. It has XP MCE 2005 and I don't have a disc with it. Will I have to purchase another key just because I updated the motherboard? The motherboard is different than the original one, would that make a difference?

Advertisements

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
emachines sometimes used OEM versions of Windows to make them cheaper. These could only be activated once.

Anytime there is a hardware change you have to re-activate.

During activation were you given the option to call Microsoft?

As horrible as it may be to talk to those people I would try that first. They may have to give you an activation code.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yes I was given the option to call them.

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I would call them. Tell them that you swapped the motherboard and need to re-activate Windows.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok, I will try that. Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Microsoft is very leniant when it comes to re-activating a computer. Just call the number that's listed in the Activation Wizard screen. You will then go through the over-the-phone wizard with the electronic lady and she may give you the activation code right there, or she may transfer you to an operater who will just ask you a couple of questions like how many machines is this key used on, when and where did you buy the machine, etc..., but will eventually give you the activation code that you need to enter in the boxes in the Activation Wizard on your computer.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 25 September 2008 - 10:35 AM.

Area 51

Area 51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok, I called them and it took awhile with the electronic lady but it activated. I'm back in business :) Thanks M420 and Fenor.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
:)

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Glad to help!