Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 7 wont uninstall

• Please log in to reply

sandeep(rdm)

sandeep(rdm)

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone

I was trying to uninstall IE7. Went to add and remove programes and uninstalled the same.Then rebooted the machine and checked. The IE 7 is still there, but when clicked on about internet explorer under help options it says its version 6. Also its no more there in Add and remove programmes. I tried following which really didnt help.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
Right-click the Internet Explorer key, click New, and then click DWORD value.
Type InstalledByUser as the name, and then press ENTER to finish creating the new registry value.

Also can anyone tell me if i can uninstall IE 7 and then re-install IE6, because on another machine there was a similiar problem, when i uninstalled the IE7, the IE six is not working. It just freezes up and wont respond. It open the home page fine but then once you enter any address, it tries to open another window and just goes back and forth with an hour glass on mouse pointer.

Is there any exe for Internet Explorer which can be installed. I dont wont to use windows components as it seems that many .dll files have gone corrupt. For example mshtml.dll is one.

can someone help me with this

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
What exactly makes you think IE7 "is still there"? If it's just the IE7 icon that's still there (it's slightly different to the IE6 icon), or if the icon label still says "Windows Internet Explorer" (instead of just 'Internet Explorer'), both those problems can easily be fixed as they are just cosmetic. If 'Help->About' says it's version 6 then it almost certainly is version 6 and all that's required is a little editing of the icon or icon label.

In any event, why uninstall IE7? It's much more secure than IE6 and the tabbed browsing is a "must have" these days.

You can download IE6 final for XP here: http://www.microsoft...ds/default.mspx

sandeep(rdm)

sandeep(rdm)

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay , The about internet explorer says Its version 6, BUT I STILL HAVE ALL THE FEATURES OF INTERNET EXPLORER 7. I HAVE TABBED BROWSING, ALL NEW LOOKS, MENUS ETC. Worse part is i tried re-installing the ie six for .inf file at this point but still it seems that it will take it back to Internet explorer 7....

Also registry Hive HKLM identifies Internet Explorer 7 after the uninstall. Everything is just the same, except IE7 is not seen in appwiz.cpl...

Any Ideas and Suggestion?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't remember all the details now but I think it has to do with SP-3. As far as I remember it depends on when IE 7.0 was installed in relation to SP-3 installation. There are situations in which IE 7.0 cannot be removed or rolled back to IE 6.0.

If you had no problems with IE 7.0 then my advice is to download and install it back. The path that you follow now can end with lots of problems. For your consideration.