Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory compatability

• Please log in to reply

washout

washout

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
i am looking at RAM.
the motherboard i am getting accepts 4x240pin DDR2 1066 sticks.
is the 1066 backwards compatible ??
can i put it a 2GB stick of DDR2 800 in it?
and if thats so, can i mix them up?
can i have a 1GB stick of DDR2 800 and a 2GB stick of DDR2 1066 next to eachother?

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Yes you can use your DDR2-800 RAM however you cannot mix it with the DDR2-1066. It will not work.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DDR2 is backwards compatible. You can use 1066 with 800 howver the 1066 stuff will only run at the same speed as the 800 stuff.

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Yes you can use your DDR2-800 RAM however you cannot mix it with the DDR2-1066. It will not work.

vs

DDR2 is backwards compatible. You can use 1066 with 800 howver the 1066 stuff will only run at the same speed as the 800 stuff.

which is it?
will they work together, just at the lower speed, or will they not work?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The memory works in the same way as it always has done - faster stuff slows down to match the slower stuff.
This has been the case with memory throughout all the techology we've had. I fail to see why DDR2 should be any different.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
All being equal, Neil is right. The higher stuff should just run downclocked to match the lower stuff.

However, I've seen cases that prove both theories... :)

That's why I just simply always recommend not to mix and match RAM sets, sometimes you'll just happen to find a combination that won't work. Always grab a complete kit in one hit, if you can. If you're looking to upgrade what you've already got, try finding the exact same sticks to throw in.

My $0.02 from my experiences.

Cheers

Troy