Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe Flash Internet Browser Plug In Question

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hi I just recently went on myspace.com and couldn't see any of the band music player boxes that stream user profile music. They were replaced with the words "In order to view this music player you have to update to flash 9 click here".

That link lead to macromedia.com/getplayer or something along those lines. On that page there was another link to check which version of flash I had installed. I did indeed have an older version installed which was still part of the version 9 family tree but older... Anyways I went ahead and installed the new version and that was that. I was now able to view all the music players on myspace and go about my day.

But I later checked my add/remove programs window to find that there were two references to adobe flash 9 listed as you can see here:

Posted Image

The reference to "flash 9 active x" was listed there prior to me installing the new version of the plug in. So I'm wondering why in the world would I now have two references to the flash 9 listed there??? If I was just updating to a newer version why would I have two types of software referring to flash 9 listed in my add/remove programs list instead of just one like it was prior to me installing the new version of flash 9? Now I'm a bit pc savvy but don't know anything about internet browser plug ins. Does the item referring to flash 9 active x do something totally different than the item referring to flash player plug in? & if I don't need one please tell me what to do.

I'm guessing I went ahead with the flash upgrade without doing it properly. [ie: uninstalling other things first]. Although the upgrade installer did show details that certain items were removed about flash on my pc prior to it installing the newer version, so I believe it did all of that for me. The thing is I remember that flash used to be owed by macromedia no? & now it's owned by adobe... Or the other way around. So I have no clue if I installed the new version of the web browser plug in right or have two different installs. [ie: one from the previous flash company and one from the new].

Thanx

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
No worries, superstar. Your 'Add Remove Programs' list is fine. The Flash ActiveX version is what Internet Explorer uses. The Flash plugin version is what Firefox or Opera uses instead, since those browsers are not ActiveX enabled (that's why they are considered safer than IE).