Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Have tried everything to fix win32k.sys blue screen and need last ditc

• Please log in to reply

Tracy6530

Tracy6530

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi to All,

I got roped into fixing a friends computer which is a dell dimension 3000 desktop running XP Home Edition. The problem is the blue screen error of "win32k.sys" and a stop error of 0x0000008e".

None of the typical options of your F8 load menu work as it does not let you get into safe mode, last known config or anything, as it always reverts back to the blue screen.

I have gotten into the recover console and done the chkdsk, and even rebuilt the registry but it always comes back to this blue screen. I have done a search on the error codes and have investigated everything from bad RAM, to hardware issues and nothing jives.

At this point I am not sure what is prevening the start up. In most liklihood I will have to re-install windows for this family but I hate for them to lose their data.

If anyone can suggest anything at this point I am willing to give it a try.

Thanks for your assistance.
T

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
No reason why you should lose the data. I am almost convinced that it can be saved. Please do the following:

Download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. If it doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device. After booting click the icon that looks like a pen drive (or whatever it's called) and all your data will show up. Back it up to another partition on the disk or to another storage device.