Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RSS

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi all,

I actually don't really know where to put this... So I'm guessing here.

From what I can understand, RSS is a subscription I put into a designated program, and whenever the address is changed/updated (new content), it sends me a message with the update.

If this sounds like what RSS is, I'm really interested. There's plenty I'd like to become a subscriber for.

Yes, I sure can see the plethora of information out there on my Google search! :)

If somebody wouldn't mind guiding me on what it is, how to set it up, and how to use it, it would be really great. This will be for Windows XP Home computer, running Office 2002 Professional - so if I can fit it into there, that'd be great, otherwise I'll download a suggested RSS program.

Cheers

Troy

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

RSS is a family of Web feed formats used to publish frequently updated works – such as blog entries, news headlines, audio, and video – in a standardized format.[2] An RSS document (which is called a "feed", "web feed",[3] or "channel") includes full or summarized text, plus metadata such as publishing dates and authorship. Web feeds benefit publishers by letting them syndicate content quickly and automatically. They benefit readers who want to subscribe to timely updates from favored websites or to aggregate feeds from many sites into one place. RSS feeds can be read using software called an "RSS reader", "feed reader", or "aggregator", which can be web-based or desktop-based. A standardized XML file format allows the information to be published once and viewed by many different programs. The user subscribes to a feed by entering the feed's link into the reader or by clicking an RSS icon in a browser that initiates the subscription process. The RSS reader checks the user's subscribed feeds regularly for new work, downloads any updates that it finds, and provides a user interface to monitor and read the feeds.

Source: Wikipedia

How to subscribe to RSS Feeds
RSS basics - Thunderbird
How to Subscribe to an RSS News Feed in Yahoo! Mail
How to Subscribe to RSS Feeds

SOURCE

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Thanks Ron,

After a bit of research, I've found that Firefox can do it for me with the "Live Bookmarks" feature.

I don't know if this is the proper RSS way, but it seems to work, so I'll try it for a bit and see how I like it.

Cheers

Troy

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Firefox has built-in RSS support which is what the live Bookmarks toolbar is for.