Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ext. harddisk not working

• Please log in to reply

tenzi

tenzi

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
halloo all,
well couchwife6 suggest me to put my quiries out here, hope to get the solution :- By the way mine is Thinkpad600 which is pentium II 128 Ram with 20 gb hdd..

1. will adding a new external harddisk improve my system performance?
2. How would i know, what kind of usb port i have i mean the version?

i bought this external hard disk of 40gb from seagate and the case for it was from Intex. I have xp pro installed in my machine.. but the problem is device could not be recognized / some error would pop and it would n't at all find my device attached?

can anyone help me out ? am just left clue less !!!!

Advertisements

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
did you try a different usb port it might have been useful maybe that port is out of order. like i know any usb device is compatable with any usb port.

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Its perfectly working fine i mean the port cuz i use the port for my webcam too.. and the webcam works fine with it.

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
did you check that usb cable it could be the cable could be faulty. and a external drive is just a media for saving data. it is almost like a removable media where you can load and go. you could go to any pc and load info off and it would not lower you pc's optimal performance. Give me a hola if you in the dark ;) :tazz:

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yeh i have checked it. i tried it on one of my frds machine. Its perfectly working fine there. i have partioned the hard disk and have also formatted; files were also saved in the hard disk too. and all these things shows perfectly normal in my frds computer.!
But when i plug it into my mahcine it dosen't work at all. the red light on the case keep on blinking But when i plug the shorter cable then there is a green light shown. Actually the cable it had cable with seperate port with one single end.

hope you get what i am trying to say !! am just lost.

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
check what type of usb you have on your pc. it could be a that the usb ex drive is not compatible with your usb ports you have on your pc. you see i am not that sure but i know you get usb and usb2. just check that for me. and give me a hola ;) :tazz:

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
i guess i have this usb 1.0 attached with my motherboard. Is it because of the new one being usb 2.0 or is it like its not supporting mine !

Thanks for the response.