Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP restart loop

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

I am also in the Win XP startup loop.

Earlier I saw:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Beep.SYS

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any windows updates you might need.

If the problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode, to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x81000078, 0x00000000, 0xF79FD2FF, 0x00000000)

*** Beep.SYS - Address F79FD2FF base at F79FC000, Datestamp 48d397f5

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
assistance.

I put it into Safe Mode (not SM with command prompt), it appears to start that way then I get a screen full of info with lines running the width of the page - something like; multidisk, rdisk, partitions, WINDOWS, sytem32, drivers, . . . . . then it says it's starting in Safe Mode, goes around to log-in, after logging in - since I've turned off the Auto Restart - it goes back to Blue Screen with above message.

Somewhere trying to get into Safe Mode, I selected Recovery Console, it asked for Admin password which of course I don't know now. I just kept hitting Enter and it stayed in DOS mode (?)
At C:\WINDOWS I typed chkdsk c: /R

After run it says found and fixed one or more errors on the volume. Over 94,000,000 kilobytes available.
EXIT - Win XP starting
screen goes black then it's starting over
still in reboot loop

THEN At C:\WINDOWS I typed chkdsk c: /p /r
After run it says found and fixed one or more errors on the volume. Over 94,000,000 kilobytes available.
EXIT - Win XP starting
screen goes black then it's starting over
still in reboot loop

I've spent hours searching online and going over similar problems here. The answers do not seem to fit my situation. If all this makes me sound like I know what I'm doing - well, it's really not true! If you offer suggestions you really need to spell every step out like for a newby!!

Win XP stuck in startup loop.
Win 98 not working after trying to install NIC.
Going thru Mac PowerBook G4 to try and solve this.

ANY suggestions MOST appreciated!

bamakodaker

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Oops! I forgot to try one more method. It seems to have worked.

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

At final window I saw a link to see folders that were renamed. I have several ksuser.dll files that are renamed with different numbers after them (2, 3, 4 and so on) - I see these are all located: \system32
XmlSchemas
VideoEffects
SrvLnch
LogiShrd
OHH NOW I SEE - these are a whole bunch of files from Logitech/QuickCam - I do remember a recent update!

Ummm, did I cause this problem by failing to follow ALL instructions? I (ahem) assumed an update would delete old files and put in the new files. It seems I had a lot of duplicated files.

Do I need to remove any Logitech files?

There was a very similar problem with Roxio/Easy CD Creator - the restart loop problem.

WHOA! Just looked up and Logitech was starting to search for an auto update! Is there update and XP a known problem?

My computer seems to be working fine now.
I'm using the Malware Removal Guide and will report back later.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the computer works well now leave it at that. The only thing I would do is to cancel automatic updates of logitech.