Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow on wireless, Fast on hard wire

• Please log in to reply

mcoblentz

mcoblentz

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi all, this seems a bit strange. My work laptop (Dell 620, 2 GB RAM) seems to run fine if I connect to the network (home or office) with an ethernet cable. If I try to use the WiFi at home, then eventually it seems to get "clogged" and run very slow.

I watched through Process Explorer as it took about 10 minutes to login, boot up, do the usual Windows thing. I've had it for a > year so it just seems to be slow on startup. I think that's common. I mean, every PC i know gets slower after about 6 months. this one is no different.

When i boot on the home WiFi network, it seems fine initially but after about 20 minutes it get really clogged. A check in Process Explorer shows a lot of activity with really excessive percentages. The CPU usage just climbs until it hits 100% and then it stays there. Even if I'm not doing anything or don't start any apps. It's like DPC's just get queued up and then the system slows down. Although DPCs don't seem to exceed 5% or so at any one time.

Any suggestions? I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.

Advertisements