Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell pc taken over by something

• Please log in to reply

karen58

karen58

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Help anyone, My desktop icons will no longer work. When I click on the icons they disappear, then reappear quickly but nothing happens. I have been able twice to boot into safe mode where I downloaded Adaware 2008 but then could not get the folder to open up or nothing. I have Hijack This on a cd, so I put that in the drive and once again could not get my computer to open up to get to the drive. Now I can no longer get any icons on my desktop to work they only flash & then nothing. I was able to get Microsoft update to work whereas I am now using SP3, but I can get nothing else to work. Please help, I am at my wits end. Thanks in advance for any help. Karen :)

I am running XP sp3, 2.8 ghz, 512mb ram

Advertisements

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hello karen58

Welcome to G2Go. :)
=====================
Download GMER from Here :
Unzip it to the C:\Drive.

Open the program and click on the Rootkit tab. (If it does not run please right click on it and rename it to kahdah then try to launch it again)
Make sure all the boxes on the right of the screen are checked, EXCEPT for ‘Show All’.
Click on Scan.
When the scan has run click Copy and paste the results (if any) into this thread.
===========
Let me know if you can run this program and we will go from there.

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I downloaded that program & got it unzipped but that is all that I can do. I have tried everything & everyway to open that folder but it just flashes then nothing. I renamed it & still nothing. Helpppppppp!

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Try it in Safe Mode:
Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
  • Choose your usual account.

karen58

karen58

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks alot for your help, but while I was unable to get GMER to work, I finally succeeded in getting my Hijack this to work. Now, after 129 viruses & malware have been removed I have gotten the Adaware to work & got 49 more. Now since I have run several scans & checked my Hijack this log again & I think for now that I am clean. Thanks again for your help, Karen. :)

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Please post a new HIjackthis log and we will see what is left over.