Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG now bad?

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

I ignored way too long. I knew AVG was slow but I just read the report - it takes over 5 hours to scan my computer!! I looked at Geeks Antivirus recommendations and see Avast! is your top rated program.

(1) Is Avast! compatible with Win XP in my little HP Pavilion a1400e?

(2) If I understand all this - I go Start > Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > select AVG Free 8.0
WAIT - if I'm set to use this all the time and it does a daily scan, why does it say last time used (3) was over 3 months ago??

(4) The icon on my bottom tray shows AVG Anti-Virus Free - could I have more than one AVG program even though only one shows in Add/Remove Programs?

(5) After this is all settled I just go download Avast! and follow directions, any pointers there?

Much thanks for the time and suggestions!
bamakodaker

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If AVG takes 5 hours its likely everything else would take 5 hours. Nothing too untoward against AVG, its good for what it is.

1) Yes.
2) The figure is when the program linked to was last used - when you opened it up. A daily scan doesn't count.
3) Somebody ran off with question 3 I think.
4) No. One Anti-virus only at all times.
5) If you want to use Avast, you can use Avast, providing you don't run it and AVG at the same time.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Are these the same type programs - Ad-Aware and Avast? Meaning one needs to be shut down or removed?

Much thanks, 

bamakodaker