Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer completely unresponsive

• Please log in to reply

Schildkr03te

Schildkr03te

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm running Windows XP home edition (service pack 2)

My problem is this; I was using my computer 2 days ago and suddenly everything froze for no obvious reason, I couldn't click anything so I had to reset the pc. After doing this and opening my user account again my desktop image and icons would show up but it wouldn't sign me into msn like usual and nothing I clicked on would open. I tried turning the pc off and then on again and tried using everyone else's user accounts with the same result; completely unresponsive.

For about a day after this happened I was still able to use safe mode with networking to try and find a solution but now whenever I try to get into safe mode (with or without networking) my computer automatically resets itself (I'm writing this message from the library right now). So now I'm unable to access my computer at all...

( Note: while safe mode was working, everything functioned as normal but I was unable to carry out a system restore. It worked fine for me at first, it let me select the point I want to restore to but when I tried to click "next" on the last page to finalise the process nothing happened! The button graphic went down and came back up again but it didn't restore the system!(even after multiple tries)

Since it worked in safe mode for that time, but not normally, I imagine the problem lies within something which happens in normal mode on startup but has somehow spread to safe mode as well(I had tried disabling starup programs but with no luck) I think that you can restore a computer back to it's original settings without having to actually get to your desktop, but I don't want to lose all my files (even though I currently have no access to them) and since my computer knowledge (at least as far as it comes to actually fixing problems) is pretty slim, I didn't want to make too many blind changes in case I made things even worse or caused irrepairable damade.

If any of you have any ideas of how I can fix this they would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

xxx

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what is the make and model of your computer..laptop ?...system specs...

you can remove the hard drive and slave it to a working system to get all your data off the drive...

Schildkr03te

Schildkr03te

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

what is the make and model of your computer..laptop ?...system specs...

you can remove the hard drive and slave it to a working system to get all your data off the drive...

Thank you for your reply. It's a Hi-Grade, Winputer Tower model, 80GB hard drive, 224mb RAM, 2.8 Ghz Intel Celeron processor

How do you go about "slaving" a hard drive? Also, is there any any way to do this without infecting the second computer (that is, in case my computer is infected with something) as I would have to do this with a friend's computer and I wouldn't want to mess his up too.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
unplug your computer and his from the wall..touch bare metal in the case BEFORE touching any components in the case

you remove the hard drive from your case...
if it a ide drive you move the little plastic jumper on the back from the master position to the slave position..
should be small lettering close to the jumpers
m or ms= master...
cs=cable select..
s= slave
plug it in to his computer on the primary ide cable...middle connector if there isn't anything connected there...
if there is plug it into the secondary ide channel ...middle connector...
if its a sata drive just plug it in to a empty slot...(data cable and power)

as soon as you boot up you can run his malware tools against your drive alone by going to my computer...right click on your drive and one of you options is to scan...

Edited by happyrock, 02 October 2008 - 03:50 PM.

Schildkr03te

Schildkr03te

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

unplug your computer and his from the wall..touch bare metal in the case BEFORE touching any components in the case

you remove the hard drive from your case...
if it a ide drive you move the little plastic jumper on the back from the master position to the slave position..
should be small lettering close to the jumpers
m or ms= master...
cs=cable select..
s= slave
plug it in to his computer on the primary ide cable...middle connector if there isn't anything connected there...
if there is plug it into the secondary ide channel ...middle connector...
if its a sata drive just plug it in to a empty slot...(data cable and power)

as soon as you boot up you can run his malware tools against your drive alone by going to my computer...right click on your drive and one of you options is to scan...

OK, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the future...you don't have to quote what I said in your reply...
it just makes reading your reply a little slower