Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dead h/d can i replace with one from spare comp?

• Please log in to reply

icer

icer

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
HI

My daughter has a dell dimension 8200 1.8G p4 1.5g rd ram
hard disk has decided not to play anymore and system goes round & round in circles.
We have a spare system in loft a dell dimension 2400 and as far as anybody can remember the h/d is ok. it is loaded with xp.
is there ant reason why i can't just shove this one in and expect this to work?
It does seem to easy so there must be a problem, what is it.

Ian

Advertisements

Jeff Berndsen

Jeff Berndsen

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
It may work, but the problem you are going to run into is that the devices on the computer are going to be different, and as such will require you to install the device drivers for the motherboard and all other devices.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you might be able to put the hard drive in but you would have to reinstall windows fresh as you can't move xp from one computer to another unless they are identical....

I can't be sure the hard drives are the same type either as these are dells and you can't find out what is on them with just a model number.... you need service tags.... you could go to dell and put in your service tag number into the tech support area and find out factory configuration.... as long as the hard drives are the same type they could be used ( either sata or pata/ide )

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you describe the problem in some details? How did you reach the conclusion that the hard disk is finished?