Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No icons and taskbar on desktop

• Please log in to reply

siberiancheeks

siberiancheeks

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey Guys!!

I have this weird problem with my computer. When I start it, the desktop wallpaper appears but there are no icons or taskbar. :) CTRL-ALT-DEL, also doesn't help, as I am not able to access my task manager. Even my right click function is not working.... I can't boot in safe mode too... I read some other threads on this topic, but it seems, that atleast something(taskmanager, safemode) has been working for others....

Some fast help would be appreciated,

SC

Advertisements

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello SC,
I see the malware post you had going a few months ago. Is this a new computer? Or the same one? If it is then I would guess this to be4 malware related, but if not then there are other things it could be. Maybe a faulty startup program. But that doesn't matter really for the time being. We have to get safe mode working.

What happens when you try to boot it in safe mode. (usually pressing f8 at startup does the trick.)

Could I get specs on your computer? (Make, model - stuff like that :) )

Tony

siberiancheeks

siberiancheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey there!
You're right, the computer which is having this problem is the same one... But, after that malware issue, I had got my computer cleaned by a computer technician, it was running fine for the next few months... Could it be a malware issue?

As for safe mode, it's like this, when I press f8, I get this screen saying "boot menu", "boot first device". Then there are two options, hard disk or CD ROM which have further sub-options...
But generally, I used to access safe mode by switching of the mains.. I know this is kind of stupid, but I don't have much of an option.. Then, I would get safe mode option.. But I tried that right now, and I got safe mode like once in 50 tries!! In that 'once' i have no idea, why it was scanning my system32 folder. Then yes, finally, something did happen, I got a chance to access my user account, but again, the screen was blank, this time, there was no desktop wallpaper too.. :)

I’m really sorry, because I wouldn’t be having many details regarding my system, as I seem to have lost the papers.. This is all I have:

CPU: P4 3.0 GHZ
MOTHERBOARD: INTEL PENTIUM 4
RAM: 512 MB-D
HDD 80 GB-D

Thanks,
SC

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Well, it could be a malware issue, but first try disabling any unnecessary startup programs. Most of the time if you hit your power switch when your computers on, and turn it back on, it will give you options for safe mode, because it did not shut down properly. But since there is no start menu or task bar you probably cant get to msconfig, through run.

All you could really do if you dont have access to anything, is insert your windows disk. A lot of people seem to have lost them now-a-days. Do you have one?

In that 'once' i have no idea, why it was scanning my system32 folder.

What did it look like when it was scanning? You weren't on your account yet right?

siberiancheeks

siberiancheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, things can't go so wrong... I have my windows CD. :) What do I do after inserting it?

As for the scanning ,No, I wasn't in my account then...I could see a list of files, similar to this:

multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)rdisk/ system32/

I don't remember too well, but I guess, it was something like this..

SC

siberiancheeks

siberiancheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey! Thanks guys!! I repaired my system, after doing a windows system repair.. Things are pretty fine now, and I've recovered all my data!!
Thanks Again,
SC.