Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Access home network after program install

• Please log in to reply

mlovelace

mlovelace

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi,

I recently had some virus issues, but my home network was working fine. I was able to get rid o the virus problem thnaks to your staff in the Malware forum. However, after installing the following programs as suggested, I can no longer access my home network or the shared printer. Programs installed before problem: AVG anti-virus, Sunbelt Fiewall, and Syware Guard. I'm not sure if a setting in one of these programs in not allowing network access or if it is something else.

Thanks, Miles

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You will want to check the security level of your fire wall.
It is most likely set to high by default, set it to medium.
You may have to allow access to your home network, there should be settings for this.
Of course windows fire wall would work just as well, and your router is a good hardware fire wall. (a hardware fire wall gives you more protection than ANY software fire wall.)

mlovelace

mlovelace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I had been using the Windows Firewall before, but it was recommended by your staff that the Sunbelt Firewall was better. However, as you say, if the software firewall is not that important or essential becasue of the hardware firewall (router), then maybe I should try switching back to the Windows Firewall and see if that solves my problem.

When I get home from work, I will try to alter the settings for Sunbelt and if that doesn't work, try switching abck to the Windows firewall. So you don't think the AVG or the Spyware Guard software could be causing any network connectivity issues then?

Miles

mlovelace

mlovelace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hello hfcg,

I treid looking for a setting on the Sunbelt Firewll software and didn't see anything on any of the menus that indicated that I could allow access to my home network. Next I diabled this software and put the windows firewall back in use on the computers in our home network....still no network access. Next I disabled the firwall completely on each computer....still no network access. I got the following dilog box message when trying to access it, "Mhome is not accessible. You might not be able to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".

Please help!

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am sorry for the delayed reply.
Can you access the Internet?
Are you connected to the router when accessing the Internet?
Have you checked to make sure that you are connected to this work group?
You may have to set up the work group in the afflicted machine. Make sure that the name of the work group is correct.
Have you checked the fire wall on the other machines?

Edited by hfcg, 02 October 2008 - 07:21 PM.