Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update--NOT ABLE TO FUNCTION

• Please log in to reply

bermie

bermie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've posted in the WIndows section and was told I should post here first--Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hello--I recently had some virus/malware or something crazy on my laptop (yesterday). I've done all I can to remove it (ran my Norton and AdAware multiple times until they come out clean). I've noticed that the comp repeatedly keeps putting .dll files to load upon startup in my msconfig (I've unchecked them and deleted the .dlls as well, although other ones keep coming). It is also trying to access the internet, as, if i've shut off the wireless, every now and then i'll get a "no connection, work offline or try to connect?" error box (when I'm not trying to connect to the internet at all or use a program that would need to connect). When I tried to do a system restore, I found all previous dates were completely erased and the only timepoint to restore to was essentially right after the offending program/virus began. Anyway, the malware is another topic (it also causes popups to other sites when i click "back" on my web browsers). One of my biggest concerns is that I can't do any windows updates.
The security center says my windows update is turned off--however, if i go into my control panel and click on the security settings, it says it is on. Furthermore, I've tried going into services.msc (through "run") and am able to "start" (none of htem are off) my event loggers and BITS, but my automatic updates is set to "disabled" (in the general tab--it's enabled in the log on tab). If i select "automatic" or "manual" the start button is able to be depressed. However, when I depress it, i get an error msg :
"Could not start the Automatic Updates service on Local Computer

Error 1058: This service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".

Any ideas on how to get it working again? I'm afraid to access the internet and type anything because the virii it keeps finding are all ones that can record keystrokes (and i've run the virus scan and ad aware multiple times, but it usually picks up somehting new each time). I've tried housecall and panda online, which it will run, but usually has some type of error before hte scan/clean finishes.

I tried the windows update tool (http://software.hitoma.com/WURT/) and the program runs fine, but for many of the .dlls it's trying to register, it says it fails, then at the end, it fails to start the automatic service!

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my work laptop and i do not have time to put it aside for now!

I also I'm just running another scan now to see if it comes out "clean"

Advertisements

bermie

bermie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
(my configuration isn't showing up, so)

This is on a Sony Vaio S260, P-M 1.7Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 60 G HD
running Windows XP Home, w/ service pack 2 installed

bermie

bermie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Also, the message I'm getting (I just received it again, even though my wireless is turned off--I'm posting all of this frm a clean mac, but, unfortunately, a lot of my programs are windows specific and i need my laptop to work for my work. While i do have parallels and xp on this mac, it still doesn't run as well as on the pC, and it's not as portable as my laptop!) is a box that says

"Work Offline

No connection to the internet is currently available. To view Internet content that has been saveed on your computer, click Work Offline.

Click Try Again to attempt to reconnect
(then two choices of "work offline" or "Try again")"

since my internet connection isn't on (i turned off the wireless), this is why I think it's something that's trying to connect to the internet without me knowing. (Normally, once I turn off the connection, i"ll get maybe a networking bubble at the bottom right, by the time, that states that my wireless is not connected. This error, I've seen in the past with a wired or *gasp* modem connection, is when i'd try to start IE and wasn't connected to the internet)